Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Possible?
Hi,

Just wondering about some (standard) functionalities in Links SQL.

Why?

Because currently we are using a heavily modified Links2.0 for our Job Posting section of our website. But to be ready for the future and implement a more stable solution I would like to switch to Links SQL (For instance. I added the functionality that multiple users could log in the admin section and add Jobs to our website. But if a collegue of me would type ‘db=users’ in the url-resource bar he/she would be able to see and modify the passwords of all users.)

What are our wishes?

1) Allow only our employees to log in the admin section an add jobs.
2) Have Links SQL offer these jobs in 3 sections to the visitors of our website
3) Allow visitors to apply for jobs by filling in a form (including the possibility to uploading their resume
4) Store and email the response to the ‘owner’ of the job (including sending the uploaded resume as an attachment)

Which specific functionalities?

- Multiple users being able to log in the admin section. (More secure that now.)
- Each job or record should be able to have an owner, and you should only be able to add/edit/delete your own jobs. Admin could control all.
- Visitors of the website browse or search for jobs. (including xml exchange)
- Visitors reply to jobs with special reply-form (sort of add.cgi, except your now adding a job but a reply?)
- Reply-form offers add to database but also send email to job-owner including attachment.

….as I said all these functionalities are now implemented in our Links2.0, but as I don’t know anything about the SQL functionalities I’m wondering which one are standard and which one I could implement with a small tweak.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by:

cK: Jun 11, 2002, 1:38 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [cK] Possible? In reply to
I'm pretty sure this can all be implemented in the standard links or with a few minor tweaks.

The admin area is only for super users.

You can have editors that can add/manage items in assigned categories.

A user (logged in) can add/upload new items. You could easily (with a minor code change) allow only logged in users on your site, but give certain users the ability to add items (ie editors going through the editor interface), but remove add.cgi for regular users.

To be more specific than this, you should send a note to Gossamer Threads directly.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Possible? In reply to
I should........

BTW: I'm talking about two database here. One for the JOBS (they get posted online by employees) and one for the replies (incl resume) . These replies should be stored and emailed to the proper employees.
Quote Reply
Re: [cK] Possible? In reply to
Hi cK,

As PugDog mentioned, it would be unwise for you to allow admin access for your staff to merely enter jobs into the database. Not only would this make all those jobs owned by the "admin" user by default, you would also be opening up the entire system to everyone.

A better idea would be to have your staff logging in as each "Employer" and adding the job on the user side. This would enable you to keep the ownership of the jobs according to your requirements.

It will require some modifications to Links SQL to provide the functionality you mentioned whereby a user can send an email to the Employer with an attachment, but we can do that as a custom job for you.

As for your question of which are standard, everything right up to the part where you want a user to be able to email the Employer and then store the email in the database is standard. After that, everything is custom work. If you wish to contract with Gossamer Threads to make these modifications for you, please let me know via email: jack@gossamer-threads.com

Jack.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jack Ong, C.O.O., Gossamer Threads, Inc.
9th Floor, 100 West Pender, Vancouver, BC, Canada, V6B 1R8
Email: <jack@gossamer-threads.com>
Tel: (604) 687-5804 Fax: (604) 687-5806