Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

No Perl / PHP knowledge - can I do it?

Quote Reply
No Perl / PHP knowledge - can I do it?
Hi

First: I have already sent this query via the contact feedback form, but I realise it would be better placed in the forum. 'staff' please ignore the original query. Blush

I am considering bidding for the following project:

Construct a portal / repository for thousands of Word / Excel / Powerpoint documents, extensive links to other sites, membership requires annual payment (UK credit card), approval of documents by admin only, target is for 2000 members in first 12 months - rising to 3000+ after 24 months.

As per title - I have little or no Perl / PHP knowledge, but expert (?!) at HTML / CSS and many years general I.T. experience.

Would I be able to implement this project using Links SQL? Would anyone care to estimate how long it would take (I know how vague this question is with so little information!)?

Thanks

David.
Quote Reply
Re: [David_1cog] No Perl / PHP knowledge - can I do it? In reply to
Are you intending to setup Links SQL, and customize this all yourself? If so, then I would imagine it would take a while if you plan all of those features, and have little/no knowledge of PHP/Perl. Its definatly possible to do what you want though...

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi Andy:

Do you do contract work on Links SQL customizations?
Quote Reply
Re: [johnjohn] No Perl / PHP knowledge - can I do it? In reply to
Sure, please email me at webmaster@ace-installer.com, or send me a PM via this forum.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Depending on how you want to link the files (one per link, or more elaborate) Links SQL is pretty well set to do most of this.

Most should be able to be done with HTML and template tags.

Payments/authorizations etc is not a function of the program yet, but GT is working on some features that should address this shortly -- perhaps as a part of community.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Hi,

From your description, everything except handling the payment processing could be done "out of the box" with Links SQL.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] No Perl / PHP knowledge - can I do it? In reply to
Thanks to all for the replies.

I've been in touch with 'Paul' from these forums and he has agreed to work with me if I win the contract, using Links SQL as the solution.
Quote Reply
I come with no perl / PHP knowledge as many of the veterans here can attest to BlushWink

I managed to customize LSQL pretty well with the help of forum members - I think you shouldn't have a problem. Just don't commit yourself to a short time of work - it make take you a while to figure everything out. It took me about a month to set up our directory www.Meowhoo.com satisfactorily and get on the road.

If you love cats - visit www.TheCatSite.com

Visit my LinkSQL based Cat Site - www.Meowhoo.com