Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Meta-review web site like Rotten Tomatoes / Metacritic?

Quote Reply
Meta-review web site like Rotten Tomatoes / Metacritic?
Hi, I'm exploring using Glinks as a meta-review web site like http://www.rottentomatoes.com/ http://www.metacritic.com/.

Each product has links to external reviews. Each external review comes with its own rating and description summary. The product will combine all these ratings into a single score on my web site, according to my customisable scoring criteria. Users can rate and comments on these external reviews.

My question is can this be done? With plug-ins or needing custom work? Has anyone done something similar before?

If using Glinks isn't a good idea, can anyone suggest a better way to go about this?

Thanks very much. Smile
hansolo
Quote Reply
Re: [hansolo] Meta-review web site like Rotten Tomatoes / Metacritic? In reply to
Hi,

I don't see why it couldn't be made to work.

Are the external reviews going to be added manually? (i.e a URL added, to the external review).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Meta-review web site like Rotten Tomatoes / Metacritic? In reply to
Andy wrote:

Are the external reviews going to be added manually? (i.e a URL added, to the external review).

Yes I'll be adding the external reviews manually.

Users will be able to add their own ratings/comments of the product as well.

Hmm I suppose theoretically it could work, my concern is whether it's going to be so much effort I'm better off using another product as the starting point instead? Or is it just a slight tweak?

Appreciate any feedback! Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [hansolo] Meta-review web site like Rotten Tomatoes / Metacritic? In reply to
Hi,

Quote:
Yes I'll be adding the external reviews manually.

Ok, that should be fine. How many external reviews per link are you thinking of having? Just debating what would be the best way for you to handle it -i.e a new table (harder), or just say 5 new fields for the review URLs, and 5 new fields for the rating each of those URL's has given.

i.e

ExternalReview1
ExternalReviewRating1
ExternalReview2
ExternalReviewRating2
ExternalReview3
ExternalReviewRating3
ExternalReview4
ExternalReviewRating4
ExternalReview5
ExternalReviewRating5

That would be the best solution as far as I can tell.

Then, with a plugin/global, you can count those scores up - and also any "review ratings" that exist in your database (i.e from people reviewing and rating on your site) - and give an overall rating, based on those figures.

Quote:
Hmm I suppose theoretically it could work, my concern is whether it's going to be so much effort I'm better off using another product as the starting point instead? Or is it just a slight tweak?

I don't think it would be a huge amount of work - and to be honest, even if it is - I don't think there's anything around on the Internet that would compare / be easier to setup this kind of system, thank GLinks =)

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Meta-review web site like Rotten Tomatoes / Metacritic? In reply to
Andy wrote:

Ok, that should be fine. How many external reviews per link are you thinking of having? Just debating what would be the best way for you to handle it -i.e a new table (harder), or just say 5 new fields for the review URLs, and 5 new fields for the rating each of those URL's has given.

I suppose around 30-50 external reviews per product. I wouldn't want to put a limit on it.. maybe even up to 100-200?

Andy wrote:

Then, with a plugin/global, you can count those scores up - and also any "review ratings" that exist in your database (i.e from people reviewing and rating on your site) - and give an overall rating, based on those figures.

Yes I see where you're going with this. I think I will be writing a much more detailed specifications list, before I approach the guys at GT about customisation work. I'm getting the sense that there won't be any plug-ins available for such features.

Thanks very much!
Quote Reply
Hi,

Yeah. The more sensible option would be to have a table, i.e glinks_External , with 2 fields:

ExternalURL
ExternalRating

Then, some kind of system for adding them in for your links.

That way, its simple to do a AVG() of the ratings (assuming they are based on the same kind of rating, i.e 1-5, 1-10 or similar)

Quote:
Yes I see where you're going with this. I think I will be writing a much more detailed specifications list, before I approach the guys at GT about customisation work. I'm getting the sense that there won't be any plug-ins available for such features.

Yeah, AFAIK there isn't anything that would do this (unless GT have one hidden away :P) I certainly don't have anything that would do it.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk