Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Links SQL on shared server? Yes or no?

Quote Reply
Links SQL on shared server? Yes or no?
I'm involved with a non-commercial, user-to-user software support site that is in the process of looking at alternatives for enhancing the site. I'm very interested in the functionality provided by Links SQL, as we keep a set of selected, annotated links and, from what I've seen, I think we might also use it to maintain our FAQs or at least link to them. We are not in a position, however, to pay for a dedicated server.

I realize from reading through these forums that there are several variables that affect what is needed to run Link SQL effectively. The requirements say it will run on a shared server under certain restrictions, but after reading threads like this (deleted non-functioning live link) this one - Number=102699, it looks to me like the consensus would be that Links SQL (and maybe any MySQL application) needs to run on a dedicated server. Since I like this program so much, I'd like to confirm that we probably wouldn't be happy with it on a shared server. Is there a simple yes or no answer to the question?

samantha
Quote Reply
Re: Links SQL on shared server? Yes or no? In reply to
Really depends on the following variables:

1) Amount of traffic your site receives
2) Amount of disk space you have access to
3) Amount of bandwidth you are allowed
4) Amount of server resources (CPU/Memory, etc.)
5) Speed of processors and RAM.

You can easily use LINKS SQL in a virtual server with low to medium traffic (let's say 200 - 10,000 unique visitors per day) with around 150 MGs of disk space, lots of bandwidth, and also basically an understanding ISP who does not freak out if your scripts peak at 65% or more from time to time.

It really depends on how you are applying LINKS SQL...I have three copies of it running in my virtual account and I have experienced limited amount of problems with access and also downloading issues.

So, anyway...

In Reply To:
Is there a simple yes or no answer to the question?
Absolutely and positively NO. There are no absolutes in the computer/internet world other than that Murphy's Law and gremlins prevail from time to time.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thank you. That at least gives me a list of factors to consider.

What would you say about running Links SQL with MySQL-based forums, such as WWWThreads or vBulletin, as opposed to Ultimate Bulletin Board or Discus? Should that be part of the calculus?

samantha
Quote Reply
Yes...another factor would be the number of applications you are running to access your MySQL database. The more applications, the more server resources are used, and also the more disk space and bandwidth are consumed....

Definitely something to consider when factoring in a decision of what apps to use...I would although recommend staying clear of any flat file based applications...over time, they become a bear to manage and also are not compatible with MySQL/mod_perl applications, like LINKS SQL or VBulletin or WWWThreads....

And you should probably be patient about forum apps, since there will probably be a plug-in available for LINKS SQL that will integrate more fluidly than the authentication plug-ins currently available for WWWThreads and VBulletin.

Regards,

Eliot Lee