Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Links SQL + vBulletin??

Quote Reply
Links SQL + vBulletin??
Hi, I am currently an owner of In-Link, and im starting to realize perhaps links SQL MAY be worth the extra cash.

Heres what I need in order to convince me to switch:

-I am looking to integrate 2 seperate sites, one would be a search engine/directory using Links SQL, on a SEPERATE domain, but still using the same database(hopefully this wont be too difficult to work out), the other is on a different domain that uses vBulletin. I want BOTH to use the same user database, and if possible one common user registration page as well. So when a user registers to add a link to the directory site, he is also registering for the vbulletin forum at the other site as well.

-Id also like to be able to do this in static mode in order to keep my directory pages easier to spider.

If somone could tell me how difficult this would be to accomplish, Id greatly appreciate it.

Is there a vB and Links SQL user integration hack, or something?

Also, If I were to purchase a Links SQL license, would a staff member be willing to help me accomplish this integration?

Thanks,

-Nocturnix

Forum-Forum.com - A Forum For Forum Owners and Enthusiasts!
Forum-Search.com - The first "yahoo style" all forums search engine and directory! NOW OPEN!
From the F-Network.
Quote Reply
Re: [nocturnix] Links SQL + vBulletin?? In reply to
Hi,

Hmm, I haven't tested the vbulletin plugin recently as the demand for it hasn't been that great. I just had a quick review of it, and there will be at least one hurdle. Currently the plugin authenticates you off a users vbulletin cookies, however if Links SQL is on a completely separate domain from vbulletin, the plugin won't be able to access those cookies (a cookie can only be accessed on the domain it was set from).

One possible solution would be to make the user login on the new domain (with their vbulletin user/pass). This means that the user database is shared, but a user would need to login to each site separately. A user would only ever signup on vbulletin though.

Another possible solution (if you want to try and keep the user from having to log in twice), is to create a program on the vbulletin domain. If a user tries to go to Links SQL for something that they must be logged in for, it will send them to the custom script on the vbulletin domain which will create a Links SQL session in the database, and then send them back to Links SQL which will set the cookie. It sounds more complex then it is. Wink

In any event, we would be able to do the modifications for you to make it work. It would cost extra though. Email or private message me if you'd like a quote.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Links SQL + vBulletin?? In reply to
Hey Alex, I would like the VB, Links SQL or community plugin intergration also:)
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Links SQL + vBulletin?? In reply to
"however if Links SQL is on a completely separate domain from vbulletin, the plugin won't be able to access those cookies (a cookie can only be accessed on the domain it was set from)."

ALEX,

if I have LINKS on www.me.com and vBulletin on forums.me.com, will the cookies work across these two domains or do both need to be on www.me.com ?
Quote Reply
Re: [vicos2] Links SQL + vBulletin?? In reply to
In Reply To:
if I have LINKS on www.me.com and vBulletin on forums.me.com, will the cookies work across these two domains?

Yes, cookies will work across subdomains.