Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Links 2 SQL vs InLink 2

Quote Reply
Links 2 SQL vs InLink 2
Hi everyone, i haven't decided yet the script that i will buy.

Seems that the price its big diference 450 / 200 !!

Whats features can u say that links 2 its better that inlink? and why?

best regards for everyone.

Last edited by:

Darksider: Mar 23, 2003, 5:21 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Darksider] Links 2 SQL vs InLink 2 In reply to
Hi,

I had a look at this product prior to buying Links SQL - and my findings against in-links were:

1. Seems to be a bit too much a out-of-the-box product with limited flexibility. Probably good for some - but did does not work for me.

2. The product does not seem to have a lot of track-record

3. Not sure how it performs with 200,000+ links - I have seen GT in action with 2 million+ links

4. Detailed pages does not seem to be an option - which I require.

5. On their demo site the search is not producing any results.

6. Limited custom fields

Well that is just my view...

Cheers
Klaus

http://www.ameinfo.com
Quote Reply
Don't forget InLink doesn't have a plugin system, and its template system also sucks pretty bad Frown

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Links 2 SQL vs InLink 2 In reply to
Just an update: InLink now has a plugin system and their templates can be worked with Dreamweaver.
Quote Reply
Re: [rayhne] Links 2 SQL vs InLink 2 In reply to
Try these two Yahoo searches =)

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=In-Link

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Links+SQL
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Links 2 SQL vs InLink 2 In reply to
And your point is...?

Yes, Links SQL does pop up more often but right now I'm concerned with getting a program that...well, never mind that. I was just correcting the post here concerning plug-ins and templates.
Quote Reply
There wasn't a particular point, it was just an observation I made.

The number of sites related to the In-Link script on the first search results page are 0 out of 20. For Links SQL it is about 19 out of 20.

That doesn't necessarily mean anything, it's just something to consider and is probably something I'd consider if I was in the market for a directory management script.

If In-Link suits you better than Links SQL then you should buy it. You won't be tortured if you decide to go with something other than Links SQL Smile
Quote Reply
:D I might continue to use Links SQL (with another project) but it's just not working with my Directory as well as one of the other programs would so...
Quote Reply
Everyone likes different things, when it comes to managing software or sites.

You can't get a better set of core code than links, and the template parser is better than virtually anyone elses. It's almost as complete as PHP itself (but with the power of perl).

But, if you have a favorite interface, or associated programs, then other specific products may be better for you in the short run.

Links has a higher learning curve to "get into" than most programs. It will install out of the box on most sites, but you can then spend hours, days, weeks, years customizing it. You don't have to, but you can. Templates can be very precise, use multiple includes and blocks, can nest as deep as you need (Paul found at least 4 or 5 deep, I think), globals can be written, language files altered, and much, much more.

Are there other products out there? Probably. Most are playing catch up to Links SQL.

Most of them didn't do what ALex did, and that was delay Links SQL 2.0 almost a year, to rewrite the core engine code, upon which everything else is based. It was a worthwhile effort, because it makes maintaining, updating, and adding to the software suites that much easier. Add ons can access all the core functionality of Links SQL (SQL access, Template acces, etc) with 2 lines of set up code. Using these features for add-on programs has dropped the development time, as well as the size of the programs by over 80%. This is not even the plug-in system, just programs using the links core code to add features.

Pretty much "which is better" questions are hard to answer. But if you post a specific situation, and needs or desires, then one program can often be selected.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Links 2 SQL vs InLink 2 In reply to
Hello

Good words of Pugdog here, but I have one important thing.

Links-SQL can handle multiple modifications of database entries (I've never seen this in other applications)

You can add Links in multiple categories with one multiple selectbox. no copying necessary.

included fileman with wysiwyg editor.

Links-SQL has the power of (mod) perl & (perl is much more powerfull than PHP) can handle millions of links.

I higly recommend you to purchase Links-SQL.
you can run multiple portaals on one Links-SQL without customization of the code.

etc etc etc.
Quote Reply
Re: [ridesworld] Links 2 SQL vs InLink 2 In reply to
>>Links SQL handle multiple modifications of database entries (I've never seen this in other applications)?<<

Can it? Where? How? Not sure what you mean here...do you mean modifications of links?

>>You can add Links in multiple categories with one multiple selectbox. no copying necessary. <<

Really? Where? If you mean the feature where you hold down CTRL and select each category, then you best be prepared to do that everytime you make a change to that entry or else it'll clear all but the main category when you modify. Found that out the hard way. Plus Users can't select multiple categories.
Quote Reply
Yes Sure it can

1. go to the demo supplied by GT itself at:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...sql2/admin/admin.cgi

2. click on database link in the top navaigation.
3. select link or category anc choose modify from dropdown box.

4. add asearch term in the search box in the right frame & tick modify multiple in the selectbox at the bottom of the form.

5. Now you see what i mean & i've only seen on GT products.
Quote Reply
Re: [ridesworld] Links 2 SQL vs InLink 2 In reply to
Oh yes. That. I wasn't sure what you had meant. :)
Quote Reply
Seems that this thread have some nice posts :)

But know seems clear that links sql is bettet the the current InLink, but the price is more than the double, and thats hurts... :(

Exist any type of diferent payment? in parts? something less painful.

best regards,

Darksider
Quote Reply
Hi Darksider,

If you send me an email or PM, we might be able to work something out with regards to a payment plan.

Jack.
Quote Reply
The interesting point was how the Links SQL in Title was not changed by the user to default to his/her site....

If I go for it, i would definitely change that....at least Wink

Anup