Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Link directory but with content, not outoging link

Quote Reply
Link directory but with content, not outoging link
Hi,

I want to have a link directory, but instead of a outgoing link I want it to have content, is this possible? I don't really know PHP that well so I was hoping I don't have to do any modifications for this.

I have a dedicated windows 2000 server with sqlserver backend btw.

Also, how long would it take to build like 5000 pages for the static version on a dedicated server?

Ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: [ThreadsGuy] Link directory but with content, not outoging link In reply to
It's entirely possible to use Links SQL as a CMS. That's basicly what I'm using it for. All I changed, really, is that I added a column to the links table to hold the content for the page, and then changed the URL in the link template to point to the details page.

Sorry, I can't be any help on build times, as my site is entirely dynamic, and not even close to that size to start with.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy logic] Link directory but with content, not outoging link In reply to
do we have to keep the gossamerthreads link on the bottom of each page?
Quote Reply
No
Quote Reply
Quote:
Also, how long would it take to build like 5000 pages for the static version on a dedicated server?

I did it earlier today on one of my sites, and 150,000 pages took 40mins :) This is on a GossamerHost server, so if you are looking for some mega optimization (and very cool tools), I would suggest taking a look at their packages.

Quote:
I have a dedicated windows 2000 server with sqlserver backend btw.

I wouldn't recommend running LinksSQL on M$ Products. Quite a few features, which work in Telnet/SSH, are a lot harder to run (unless you have a system of logging in, i.e RemoteDesktop.. so you can run a DOS prompt).

Also, cron's are not supported on M$ servers (you may be able to get away with s'schedules', but I'm not sure how good/reliable these are) Frown

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
I used to build about that many pages in 3-5 minutes on an older Sparc server. It was a tad underpowerd (low RAM), but still performed well with quite a few Links sites running.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.