Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Licensing for differing purposes

Quote Reply
Licensing for differing purposes
I've read the posts on licensing, and I'm still a bit vague on specifics:

If I want Links SQL to be my links manager, and run an image database, and serve up classified ads, and act as news server...is that possible with one license? Would that require the use of one big honking database, or is it legal to have one domain, one license, and several databases?
Quote Reply
Re: [Doug Nelson] Licensing for differing purposes In reply to
I think it is a license per copy of the code.

For example if you did all of the above with one copy that would be fine but if you want to use different copies for each application then that would require 3 licenses.

If you contact GT directly they may work out a bulk deal for you.
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Licensing for differing purposes In reply to
I've no problem personally using one copy of the code, as long as its physically possible to do all I need that way. Can one copy manipulate several different databases? Easily and legally?

Or am I wrongheaded in thinking a few smaller databases are better than one enormous database if they share no data other than username (which would be handled by the vBulletin plugin anyway)?
Quote Reply
You can add the other apps you want to use as plugins within one copy of LINKS SQL..simply matter of adding additional tables and then adding plugins into the script.

Basically, if you want to host multiple versions of LINKS directory let's say on multiple web servers, then you would have to purchase multiple licenses.

But for the ultimate correct answer, you should contact GT directly via their CONTACT form. Then post the response you receive...since GT seems to answer questions like yours via their contact form quicker than in the forums...but GT staff is more active these days, so may be Alex will stop by himself and post an answer.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Hi,

Once license == one installation of the software. If you wanted to run several different types of directories, you could do it with one installation, however it would require some programming knowledge to make the changes to the template. A better way is to have separate installations (which can work together in the same database), each one for it's proper task. This does require several licenses though. We do offer discounts on multiple licenses, so please contact us for more information.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.