Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Is Links SQL worth the steep price over Links?

Quote Reply
Is Links SQL worth the steep price over Links?
Hi:

I'm currently looking at both Links SQL and plain Links, and don't really understand the steep price difference between two. Apart from efficiency, it seems the two versions don't differ a lot in terms of features?

Thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: [johnjohn] Is Links SQL worth the steep price over Links? In reply to
YES! It is worth!
Quote Reply
>>
Apart from efficiency, it seems the two versions don't differ a lot in terms of features?
<<

There are many differences.

Links2 can hold around 5-6000 links (at the very most!)....Links SQL can cope with unlimited numbers of links, you are only limited by your hardware, but most dedicated servers should be able to work efficiently with a few hundred thousand links.

Links SQL also supports mod_perl which speeds up database queries due to persistant database connections and the Links SQL libraries being stored in memory rather than being loaded each request.

The email and newsletter options are also much more advanced as you can setup mailing lists.

The template editor is highly advanced and caches pre-parsed templates for faster loading and has the ability to restore original templates. You can also have unlimited numbers of template sets and load them dynamically using page.cgi?t=template_set

There is multi-language support via the use of language variables for each template set

It comes with mysqlman to allow you to manage your database quickly and efficiently should you need to.

One of the best features is the plugin system which can greatly extend and customize your copy of Links SQL and you can also share plugins with others and have them added to GT's download area (or sell them yourself).

There is an automated installer which lets you install Links SQL within minutes from your browser (or telnet) and even a windows app if you want to do the installation right from your desktop.

The build options are also more advanced allowing you to only "build changed" instead of building everything when you don't really need to.

There's a great category browser which allows you to easily manage categories and links...it's like an expandable and collapsible menu tree.

There is also static mode which turns your directory into html pages, dynamic mode which requires no building (page.cgi) and also the php frontend (page.php)

Shall I go on? Cool
Quote Reply
I think it is worth it. LSQL gives you so much flexibility.
Quote Reply
Re: [Evoir] Is Links SQL worth the steep price over Links? In reply to
Indeed it is worth the money. I won't bother repeating what Paul just said though...as I think he made quite a thorough list of the main features Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Yes!

Much more power and flexability.
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Is Links SQL worth the steep price over Links? In reply to
No-one can beat my answer :)
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Is Links SQL worth the steep price over Links? In reply to
Ohhhhh.....That sounds like a challenge! LOL
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Is Links SQL worth the steep price over Links? In reply to
Sure, why not...if you give a better answer it can only be good for johnjohn and other prospective clients Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Is Links SQL worth the steep price over Links? In reply to
OK...here it is!

Even I can use it! LOLBlush
Quote Reply
Paul has covered most of it, but this is worthy of comment I think:

I can be a cheapie when it comes to shopping, but if you expect anything in return from your site ($$, users, traffic)... it has to be a goodie from the start. Don't do what I did, and buy three lesser scripts before coming to Links SQL. You will have spent the same amount by the time you have gone through other scripts and come back to Links SQL. Look at how long people have been using Links SQL (and how dedicated its users are). How many people leave Links SQL for another directory script?

I think I crossed a half million hits/month in the first two - three months of putting my site up using links. It just looks better and performed better. I was able to spend more time making it appealing to visitors and marketing the site, as the admin tasks were/are so much simpler than any other links management software around (and I think I have seen them all).

BUY IT!!! Even if you have to sell your bike, car, girl friend's brithday gift.

Cool

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Is Links SQL worth the steep price over Links? In reply to
OOooo....I don't know about the girlfriends birthday gift! Unless of course it was an iron or a set of pots and pans. Then you will get a double plus. Links SQL and no bodly harm from your girlfriend! LOL
Quote Reply
Thanks for the responses. I think bottom line, it would seem Links SQL starts to shine (and is more appropriate) when your site becomes popular.

I admit I'm not 100% familar with the development cycle of Links SQL, but another concern of mine is the seemingly long time frame between feature additions. I've been checking a few other competitors, and features would appear to be added more frequently and by the request of users. This is apart from the third party creations.

Thanks. Again, I am still assessing things. $450 makes you do that :)
Quote Reply
>>>but another concern of mine is the seemingly long time frame between feature additions<<<

Don't forget about plugins....in the last 6 months, I would say that at least 10-15 new plugins have been released...is that not enough new features for you? Crazy

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Aren't most plugins created by third parties, and not supported by GT?

BTW, I really love your avatar Andy! Would it be permissible if I decide to use it (either as an avatar or image on my site)?

Thanks,

Last edited by:

johnjohn: Aug 5, 2002, 3:30 AM
Quote Reply
Yes, most Plugins are created by 3rd parties. They are not supported by GT, but just have a look around this support forum to see how happy people are to help others if they encounter a problem! Oh, and I have no problem with you using my avatar...I found it on the Net anyway Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk