Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Is GLinks Safe? Phoning home......

Quote Reply
Is GLinks Safe? Phoning home......
Does GT have backdoor access to a server running GLinks or any other script with the "phoning home" feature?

I’m a bit apprehensive to buy if my server has backdoor access not authorized and monitored by me. This may mean my server may be compromised in other ways I guess. What is the “phoning home” feature anyways?

Can you guys tell me how this work?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [Coralwave] Is GLinks Safe? Phoning home...... In reply to
No, Gossamer Update does not phone home. It does only checks for program updates when you view the home page (you can turn this off), or when you view the Updates page. Neither are there any backdoors in the system.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Is GLinks Safe? Phoning home...... In reply to
Also see this post for more information about the Gossamer Update system: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=280458

Adrian
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
No, Gossamer Update does not phone home. It does only checks for program updates when you view the home page (you can turn this off), or when you view the Updates page. Neither are there any backdoors in the system.

When I log into the GLinks download area I can see the exact server path to where my GLinks is installed;
This means the script must be calling home because I never gave this information. So how did it get there?

Please clarify?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Take a look at the thread that I linked to. This information is submitted when you view updates.

Adrian
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Take a look at the thread that I linked to. This information is submitted when you view updates.

I took a look at the link. THANKS
When you install it its automaticlly set to fetch and look for updates.

So basically you’re entrapped into giving this info.
Quote Reply
If you want to be able to use the update system, yes your registration number and admin path are required information to ensure that you have a valid license.

Adrian
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
If you want to be able to use the update system, yes your registration number and admin path are required information to ensure that you have a valid license.

My point has nothing to do with updates but giving information without my knowledge or permission.