Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Installation by GT

Quote Reply
Installation by GT
I noticed that GT include installation as part of the Links SQL deal.

Is that really necessary?
Is it so complicated that ordinary web-literate people can't cope?

Quote Reply
Re: Installation by GT In reply to
I suppose it all depends on your capabilites and experience.

Are you familiar with PERL and MySQL? Do you understand the principle of URL's and Paths? Do you know much about HTML tags? Do you know the location of your mail-prog? ... things like that Smile

I would expect most buyers of the GT Installation are looking for 'piece of mind' and a guarantee that it's been installed correctly, the time it saves if you're a busy person, and the lack of requirement for you to 'get to know' the code of product right from the start (there's a lot to learn if you want to get to the heart of it!)

Personally I bought the installation when I upgraded to Links SQL. I'd had no previous experience with MySQL and I thought it may be a little daunting. I've now tried installing other MySQL based products, got to know Links SQL much better, and feel confident about installing future upgrades of Links SQL myself :)

Hope this helps.

All the best
Shaun

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Are you familiar with PERL and MySQL? Do you understand the principle of URL's and Paths? Do you know much about HTML tags? Do you know the location of your mail-prog? ... things like that
Things like that ... yes. I have installed dozens of scripts, open source and commercial, including some that use MySQL.

No problems, except when the Perl code is faulty (happens sometimes). I have found I get a better idea of how a script works through the installation process.

The web host people will set up the MySQL server for me.

All I need, usually, is a sensible readme.txt -- did you get one of those?

Installing Links 2.0 is very simple -- is Links SQL much more complicated than that?

Quote Reply
Just realized there are other angles on this question ...

I could get GT to install on my virtual server, but I also need to develop my project offline -- which means on my hard disk under Win98.

Obviously GT can't install that ... I would have to do it myself. And if I can get it working under Win98, I wouldn't have a problem under FreeBSD ...

Secondly, I don't have a live project ready right. I have one project for which I am almost certain that Links SQL is the right solution, plus two more (later this year) for which Links SQL is probably the right solution. At the moment, I really need to evaluate it, check out all of its functionality, see if any modifications are needed, how easy they would be, etc ...

So first of all, I need a demo site (I have to convince other people, not just myself), then for the live project I would need to move everything (except the MySQL server).

For the next project, I would need a second license, then start over ...
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Is that really necessary?
Is it so complicated that ordinary web-literate people can't cope?
It is piece of mind. I believe, with Links SQL 2.0 especially, that installation is a good deal easier then most other scripts available.

However, should you get stuck, or should you have problems, we are hear to do the install.

You will only really have problems if:

1. You do not have MySQL, perl DBI module or perl DBD::mysql module.

Under 95% of the installs, it's all done automatically.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
I'll second that. Alex/GT spent a bulk load of time making the install routines simple! To install a similar script of this sort would be beyond most people's ability. But the installation wrapper makes it seem so easy, that most people don't realize just how complicated this program is! :)

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://pugdog.com/FAQ

Quote Reply
I believe installation by GT is also part of their product support stategy. If GT installs the script, they know it is installed properly and don't have to spend time later looking for things like incorrect path statements or permission settings, or spelling errors. That allows GT to spend more time coding, and provides the general user a higher level of customer satisfaction.
Links SQL is a premium script, and including installation tends to reaffirm that Links SQL is a superior product.

Quote Reply
it is just a security measure, alex helped me out with the perl mysql module i did not have and all was fine otherwise it takes about 2 mins to install!

http://www.ASciFi.com/ - The Science Fiction Portal
Quote Reply
alex, how long does it take you to install linksql and gossammer mail after i buy them? i want to buy both of them at the same time.
let's face it i would not have bought both of them at the same time if they do not do the instalation.
thanks for providing such a great product at an affordable prices. can you give us a hint on your future products?
i'm looking for a software similar to what cj.com have where i can be a broker for an affilate programs.
any chance you might develop something like this?
any software developed by GT= Quality software

Quote Reply
Hi,

We usually need two business days after we receive your order to get it installed.

New products are in development now, no details to share yet. =)

Thanks for the nice comments!

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
I'm a complete moron and *I* installed it :)

Getting all the tweaks and mods so it would do exactly what I wanted was more painful, but that's *not* a "standard" Links SQL installation.

--Bri

Quote Reply
Are you still using LINKS 2.0? If not, then you need to search for Detailed Pages in the Links SQL Discussion Forum.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
alex what's your e-mail? your contact e-mail posted in your profile goes directly to you? i'm very upset and i like to speak to you directly. thanks

Quote Reply
Hi,

Yes, you can email me personally at alex@gossamer-threads.com.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.