Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Install LinksSQL

Quote Reply
Install LinksSQL
Hello,
We want to buy Links SQL but we have some problems:

1st. We're in Spain, it meants we must have to install the program by our own. Actually some of our links are introduced by Links 2.0 and I'd like to import it. When we buy it, can you make a detailed pass-to-pass install manual?

2nd. Actually our site is hosted in a Sun server, but we wants to change it to a Pentium III 600Mhz. I have
been reading at the forum that 100.000 links is the max. number of links recommended for a Pentium II 330 for speed reasons. How many links do you think can manage it without problems? We spect a rising access! :-)

3rd. How about upgrades? There may have advantages if appears new versions or patchs?

Thanks for all!

Quote Reply
Re: Install LinksSQL In reply to
>> 1st. We're in Spain, it meants we must have to install the program by our
>> own. Actually some of our links are introduced by Links 2.0 and I'd like to
>> import it. When we buy it, can you make a detailed pass-to-pass install
>> manual?

By remote access, it doesn't matter where the server is, Alex can most likely install it from Telnet/FTP.

>> 2nd. Actually our site is hosted in a Sun server, but we wants to change it
>> to a Pentium III 600Mhz. I have been reading at the forum that 100.000 links
>> is the max. number of links recommended for a Pentium II 330 for speed
>> reasons. How many links do you think can manage it without problems? We
>> spect a rising access! :-)

MHz for MHz the SUN Sparc is more powerful than the Intel. You'll get much better performance off a Sun Sparc platform. Also, on the Pentium, will you be running Unix or NT? Unix will handle much more traffic per unit of hardware than NT will. Stability of the platform, and RAM determine what you will be able to do. The more RAM the better performace (in general). Another Rule is that on an Intel platform you'll need 2x the memory (at least) than you will on a Sun Sparc platform.

>> 3rd. How about upgrades? There may have advantages if appears new versions
>> or patchs?

I don't know what you mean by this.

http://www.postcards.com
FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
The best manual In reply to
Search pugdog and Alex in "Links SQL Questions". Read all the threads. You'll be able to install Links SQL on any *nix platform. You'll learn most of the answers to the eventual coming questions you'll have.
They have never talked about Mac OS X Server. I installed Links SQL 1.11 on it in less than one hour.

I was aware of a coming new version. Neverless I ordered Links SQL 1.11 last month to experiment myself with it. Since, I have no idea on what kind of difficulties we'll get with the new version and to benefict from the existing comments on this forum, playing with Links SQL on a development station could help a lot to learn it. Upgrades are free, so my advice is to order it and install it now. You'll have some days to play with it (I think the new version is coming very soonely, Alex is going to be out of his country in june Wink ).

You'll probably need Alex to install the mod_perl enabled version. I have not installed it.

Quote Reply
Re: Install LinksSQL In reply to
Thanks for your help, Pugdog and Sharif!