Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

How many static detailed pages?

Quote Reply
How many static detailed pages?
Hi,

I'm planning on building a directory with 50000 - 200000 links. I want to use static pages for better search engine placement, including detailed pages. Given that the detailed pages appear to be created in a single directory, is there a maximum number of links/detailed pages? (either a Links SQL or Linux limit?) Also, is there a point at which too many detailed pages in one directory might start to degrade performance?

Kind Regards

Rob
Quote Reply
Re: [mrrob] How many static detailed pages? In reply to
The only limitation really is your server. If you have a very high spec machine, with mod_perl and all the other extras that can go on servers; then 50,000 to 200,000 static pages will not be a problem. The building time may be quite long with that many pages, so you may also not want to build the pages too often, or you will see quite a performance drop.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] How many static detailed pages? In reply to
Quote:
If you have a very high spec machine, with mod_perl and all the other extras that can go on servers; then 50,000 to 200,000 static pages will not be a problem.

How is mod_perl going to affect static pages? Wink
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] How many static detailed pages? In reply to
Laugh good point :p It wouldn't really speed up the build process, but I suppose it would take some of the strain off other things, like search.cgi, jump.cgi etc.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Thanks for the advice chaps.

Cheers

Rob
Quote Reply
Hi Rob,

I have about 200,000 links in my installation and run the whole thing in dynamic mode - and with re-write rules you can get the same SE effect as static pages..

Just a thought

Cheers
Klaus

http://www.ameinfo.com
Quote Reply
I have suggested to gossamer that the statc page build process be staggered, lets say every 300-500 pages.
Quote Reply
Re: [brakkar] How many static detailed pages? In reply to
Have you tried 'Staggered Build' ? Wink

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Yes, but rigt now, it doesn't split the build process of tha detaied page, thus my suggestion....

Brakkar
Quote Reply
Re: [brakkar] How many static detailed pages? In reply to
Sorry, didn't realise you were refering to details builds being split Blush

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
There is a solution to the problem of building large amounts of static pages in a single directory.

The problem occurs in most operating systems when the number of files ()pages) per directory exceed what the os can handle without slowing down progressively.

Why the slow down? The slow down happens because the directory file structure holds only a set number of files, and then the os has to make another piggybacked structure, linked from the previous and so on. When a file is looked up, each structure in turn is checked to locate the file...

The solution that I use, is to buy the Pagebuilder Plugin, and use it to build your detailed pages, you can specify the directory to build them in by setting conditions, or program Pagebuilder to use the whole links directory path...

There have been other posts on this, I posted a solution requiring a PageBuilder hack to use the Title in the build directory field with spaces turned into underlins... look up some Pagebuilder posts!

Here's one "dumb" way you could specify Pagebuilder to build to a separate directory per 10,000 links. Lets say you have 100,000 links.
You would make 10 PageBuilder templates/pages.
First one would have a build condition of ID<10,001
the 2nd would build between 10,001 and 20,000, etc.

I do NOT know the SQL command to select a range,
where build is true between x and y but expect that something would work...

(ID > x) AND (ID < y)

If someone could help out there, I'd like to know myself!!

Good Luck!

I think there is another way, using hashed indexes possibly, but am not sure if it works for detailed pages!
Quote Reply
Re: [webslicer] How many static detailed pages? In reply to
There might perhaps be an easier way than the one suggested:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/t/232420/