Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Hotel Reviews site? Which is best?

Quote Reply
Hotel Reviews site? Which is best?
Hi everyone,
I am interested in creating a hotel reviews directory for my local area and want to touch on the following elements:
1.) Users able to review and rate local hotels
2.) Sponsored listings and ads
3.) Customizable ratings (e.g. "Party factor", "strictness", etc)
4.) Detail pages for each link
5.) Easily customizable templates with dreamweaver WYSIWYG
6.) Search engine friendly
7.) Ease of plugin installation and upgrades
------------------
Which of these "directory" scripts do you think is best for me: In-Link or LinksSQL or Links2.0? Is LinksSQL overkill for something like this? I am proficient in HTML, but my knowledge of PHP and PERL is novice.

Please, lets not make this a "Coke vs. Pepsi" bashing contest, I just want to know the cold truth here:)
Thanks for any advice!
Quote Reply
Re: [skunker] Hotel Reviews site? Which is best? In reply to
I have a modification (OEM version of LinksSQL really), which will import from ian.com into your LinksSQL. You could also use it just for putting your own listings in, and not even bother with the import script. Please contact me via PM, or email andy@ultranerds.com if you would like more info :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Hotel Reviews site? Which is best? In reply to
Hey Andy! Thanks so much for your reply!

Andy, I am very new to the "hotel affiliate" industry and have no idea where to start. I did some research on hotel affiliates after taking a look at the ian.com link that you provide above and found out that there are literally hundreds of other hotel/lodging affiliates out there!

My question is, what is the best? ian.com? Travelhero.com? worldtravel.com? etc?

Is ian.com the only one that works with LinksSQL?

My interest is only in LOCAL hotels in my hometown, and since I'm situated on the Texas/Mexican border, perhaps I can reach out to international hotels, as well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Hi. Please see my PM :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Hotel Reviews site? Which is best? In reply to
In Reply To:
Hi. Please see my PM :)

Cheers

How do I check the PM? My messages folder is empty. Sorry for the confusion.
Quote Reply
I was just writing it ;) Should have really said 'I'm just gonna write a PM to you' Tongue

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Hey Andy! Thanks so much for your reply!

My question is, what is the best? ian.com? Travelhero.com? worldtravel.com? etc?

Is ian.com the only one that works with LinksSQL?

At Webmaster World we have a saying: Those who know do not talk, those who talk do not know.

Basically people who are making a good living in a particular sector will not tell you how they are doing it - they would not be so foolish as to add to their competition.

IAN is good. But you need to try different affiliate programs and find a niche where you enjoy and are very knowledgeable about what you are writing about or developing. WIth lots of hard work and a dash of luck you'll get there.

LINKSSQL can be developed to be most any type of website you want. For custom jobs I recommend contacting GT directly - they will not be the cheapest but they have lots of experience custom programing their product.

Regards
Belize Tourism & Country Guide
Belize News
Quote Reply
Re: [mromero] Hotel Reviews site? Which is best? In reply to
>> At Webmaster World we have a saying: Those who know do not talk, those who talk do not know

Here in the Real World, we also have a saying, "Cute sayings, are cute sayings."

There are a lot of people who know a lot, and share it well. There are others who know very little, and well, share it alot.

It must a lot of fun to be a part of a group that you seem to feel is a back-stabbing, secretive, know-nothing clique.

I'm sorry if I interpreted this message that way, but that's how it reads. Must be an interesting place, your Webmaster World, where all those posting stuff know nothing :) Must make for some really light reading. And *why* would anyone "in the know" hang out there?? (I'm just going by what you said.)

Those of us here on the GT forums, and the Links SQL area (which is the only area I frequent), are free and open sharers of what we know, what we have learned, and we do it because it makes the world a better place to be. In any event, it has made the GT software much better, and our sites more robust, and it's been much of a two-way street between those who have something to pass on, and those who have an interest in learning it. GT has been more than responsive to the needs, the fixes, and pretty much anything that made sense on these boards over the past 5+ years I've been here.

If you want to keep secrets, feel free to, but understand that what you get back is pretty much what you put in. If you put in nothing, and only take, pretty soon, you have nothing.

A very wise man many years ago, told me "If you want to make money, give it away."

I'll leave it at that, and let you, and other readers, to decipher its meaning to you.

~flame off~

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Hotel Reviews site? Which is best? In reply to
In Reply To:
>> At Webmaster World we have a saying: Those who know do not talk, those who talk do not know

Here in the Real World, we also have a saying, "Cute sayings, are cute sayings."
I'm sorry that you've taken it this way. In terms of sharing knowledge about for example software configuration and so forth, by all means I'm 100% in favor - it's in forums like these that I've learnt what I know in that area. At WMW we are prohibited from dropping URLs and severely limited as to referring to specific solutions. The exchange of valuable trade information is via private messaging or face to face for e.g. at last weeks Pubcon. A wise man (unfortunately not a yogi) once told me "Always go to the top of the stream." Which is why I suggested to the post originator that he seek out GT staff for mission ciritical custom projects. My sympathies if that has annoyed you. Regards
Belize Tourism & Country Guide
Belize News