Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Dedicated and LinksSQL Question

Quote Reply
Dedicated and LinksSQL Question
I'm considering in upgrading to a dedicated server and using links SQL, however I want to make sure the server I get is right for Links SQL. The server that I'm thinking on getting is one available from Dialtone Internet and comes with the following:-

650 MHz Pentium III, 256KB cache
128 MB ECC RAM
9 GB, 10K SCSI IBM Hard Drive
RedHat 6.1
Apache Webserver
FTP / DNS / Mail
Server Interface 3.0
65 GB of Burstable Traffic

It also comes with PostgreSQL will this be sufficant for Links SQL (I'm new to SQL so I'm not 100% sure).

The price they are charging is $289 per month (its one of the cheapest I've seen for the quality of the server and features). Has anyone seen cheaper (with similar features)?

Any help would be appreciated.

James

Quote Reply
Re: Dedicated and LinksSQL Question In reply to
Everyone is so concerned with "cheap". Don't you feel that something is wrong when everyone else is selling the services for one price range, and then someone comes along with a much cheaper one?

Your first concern should be with support and reliability.

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://postcards.com/FAQ

Quote Reply
It wasn't the cost of the server that I concerned about.

It was whether or not the server would be of a high enough spec. to work well with LinksSQL.

The cost of the server, would just be one of the deciding factors I would look at when choosing a server.

Quote Reply
It depends on your plans.

On an Intel box, 128 meg of ram is a real tight fit. 256 would be much better.

Double that if you are not running a version of Unix.

Then, it depends on what you expect your site to do. Dividing I/0 between SCSI drives improves the #1 bottle neck of disc access (log writes, page serving, etc).

Yes, that's a nice box, but it depends on what you plan to do with it. A site that plans for a lot of active traffic has needs that are different than a site that is primarily a repository or reference collection.

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://postcards.com/FAQ