Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Dedicated Server Q

Quote Reply
Dedicated Server Q
I think it looks like I will need to get a dedicated server to run Links efficiently. Unfortunately, they are very expensive. I have found one that is a fair price ($100 a month), but the specs aren't all that great. Do you think this is good enough to run Links as well as some forums and a news site:

• Single Intel Celeron 500 MHz
• 128 KB cache
• 64 MB RAM
• 15 GB ATA/66
• 100 MBps Bay Networks Ethernet Card
• 32-Bit PCI Graphics Adapater w/ 2 MB RAM
• 1 IP Address
• 20 GB Transfer Per Month

Quote Reply
Re: Dedicated Server Q In reply to
Hi,

the ram is insufficient. Ask them what they charge for upgrading the ram to 520MB.

regards, alexander

Quote Reply
Hmm, looks like I need more RAM. But I don't think it needs to be that high. For the req it says:

Shared server with a maximum of 15 other accounts on a PII 400 machine with 512 MB RAM

So it does say it needs 512 RAM, but that is with 15 other accounts. Maybe I could get away with less.

Quote Reply
Hi,

MySQL will work with 64MB, but it will use the Harddisk for temp files and will be very slow. Depending on how many Links you want to manage you will need more RAM.

regards, alexander

Quote Reply
Hi,

IMHO, 100 monthly for a dedicated server is waaaay too cheap.

Are you sure you are the ONLY ONE on that server?

Quote Reply
Hello,

512MB eh? 256 mb not enough?

I just ordered a dedicated system (piii 733mhz) with 256mb EB.. Maybe i shall call them to put 512 kb in it ?

At start i will have 1 linksql but in the future i will have more sites with linkssql ./......

Is there some factor ? What's your advice ?

Allready thanks...

Regards Startpoint

Quote Reply
Unless they have a different deffinition of "dedicated" than I do, I am the only one on the server.

http://www.cihost.com/...dicated_hosting.php3

Look at plan 1

Quote Reply
Hi ekaram,

And the price is where a lot of people are mislead. Just because it is cheap, doesn't mean the service isn't there, just as an expensive server may not have good service.

IMHO,

If the server for $100 offers everything you need AND AFTER you do some researching on how this company has treated their clients in the past. I mean, they can give you an awesome server, but if something goes wrong, who do you turn to if the customer support doesn't help.

Anyways if the server provides what you need, and the company is legit, then go for it. Also, I may be interested in this host, so please keep me informed if you use their services.

Thanks. Smile

Robert Blackstone
Webmaster of Scato Search
http://www.scato.com
Quote Reply
In general, you can figure the cost of the machines by looking at what it costs to purchase, and figuring out what an 18 month lease would be. If your cost per month is less than that, it's either old hardware, or it's inadaquate.

next, you can figure out how much bandwith you can get -- many dedicated servers have two prices -- colocation/lease cost (the cost of the machine, and storage at their location) and the bandwidth cost. I've written several very long messages on this, but the bottom line is unless you know you will have limited traffic, you want to purchase bandwidth in SUSTAINED BANDWIDTH not total monthly bytes or bandwidth.

If you are running on NT, you need at least 256k RAM, preferably 384 or higher.

Ifyou are running on Unix of any sort, 128 or higher is good.

The reason GT can offer hosting on the shared server is they are running a Unix machine, and tuned it a bit better for that sort of hosting.

But, no matter what plan or host you chose, you get what you pay for. (if you are lucky)

http://www.postcards.com
FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
I haven't found a host that doesnt have a monthly limit on data transfer unless the price is over $1000 a month. Do you know of any?

Quote Reply
The reason is, most ISP's wont offer a sustained bandwidth at less than 1-MBit

And, that is about $1000 a month.

That's why going with an ISP that promises a limit, is over-booking, and hoping everyone won't use their limit, nd since most people try to use it at prime time, things start to back up.

When an ISP promises 1-MBit sustained, they _can't_ oversell the pipe, and they need to have EXCESS bandwidth, since you are guaranteed to have your 1-MBit anytime you need it.

They often then top off the connection with something like 5 or 10Mbit burstable. that means at any instant, you can try to grab resources above your 1Mbit, and if they are there, you'll have access to them, without being charged extra, unless your "sustained" or "average" goes above the 1Mbit for some specified time. Each ISP is different on that (when they move you to the next level of charges).

But, if you are promising 1MBit sustained, 10MBit burstable, then you can't put more than 10 servers with a 10MBit Ethernet, on a 100MBit switch. Now, since there is some sort of load balancing, and averaging, and not all sites are going to burst at the same time, the pipes get relatively smaller (even though they are larger) as you go down the line.

Does this make sense?

If an ISP is promising 1MBit/10MBit service, then on a 100Mbit line (pipe) they can put at most about 50-60 sites. That is the only way to have the "excess" bandwidth, and lack of collisions, that is necessary. As they go above that, you find less and less burstable bandwidth available.

That is _expensive_ since an ISP _can't_ over book that. They have to provide EXCESS bandwidth, not less.

Compare that to an ISP that promises UP TO 1GIG transfer per month. They _can_ over book, since there is no GURANTEE of the transfer at any time, or even thatyou'll get any of it -- just that you'll have UP TO that much before they'll charge more.

They _can_ put 200 to 500 websites on a server with a 100MBPS connection. Only one swtich, and one 100 MBPS connection. _MUCH_ cheaper, and they are charging several times for the same bandwidth -- everyone wants it at 8pm=12pm eastern, for example.

If you need a guaranteed bandwidth, the _ONLY_ way to get it is by sustained measure, not by an amount per month.

http://www.postcards.com
FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
Very good info thanks. For now I can't go with the sustained bandwidth, but I will look for it when upgrading. I wonder if my host will tell me how many computers they have connected to their 100mbs connection. It would be nice to know. Now I have another question regarding the dedicated server, it really doesn't belong on this forum, but you seem to know a lot. My host has sent me a contract and said that I need to list all the software I want installed on it. They will install it all free at setup, but if I want more installed later they charge for it. What programs would you suggest I ask to be installed? Perl and mod_perl of course. And MySQL. But what else? It is a Linux/Apache server. I guess the main thing I want to know is what should I tell my host to install so that I can run Links SQL most efficiently. Keep in mind I also am going to have forums and a news site, but those will most likely only need regular perl.
Quote Reply
Hello all,

Well next week my server will be ready to take off i hope... Ordered all the stuff like:

ASUS mainbord 133mhz
INTEL PIII 733mhz
256MB EB 133mhz... (i can later place extra mem if needed, but it isn't cheap yet!)..
9,1 Atlas SCSIII Ultra 160
29160 N adaptec scsiii
HP DAT 8I (<--- damm why doesn't linux understand onstream technology ...... )

Also will install REDHAT 6.2 linux... Mysql .... DBI/DBD .... eh and some other stuff i will need, i quess !:)..

I will drop it at our i.s.p. next week i hope... AND THEN let's do the linksSQL test !!!:)... over 2 week all must be running perfect...

LAterz..

Regards Startpoint....

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
AND THEN let's do the linksSQL test !!!:)... over 2 week all must be running perfect...
That is an extremely ambitious and somewhat unrealistic goal depending on your definition of perfect...for me who is a perfectionist, I think if I made this type of goal...I would not fare very well in the end.

I would personally re-evaluate your timeline. Wink

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
That's a good point.. I think I site just CAN'T be perfect.
To say the truth, I'd worry if my sites were perfect (as in: nothing more to offer to my visitors or improve the existing content).

Today you are perfect, and tomorrow you are outdated =)

Quote Reply
Visit www.sy.net and ask Harry A. Dickerson admin@sy.net, say greetings from Robert, Germany and ask him for your special needs;

We get there very fast connections, very good pricing and a real good support, if needed.

After a long journey tru US-ISPs we found there at least a real good partner without any compromise.

Robert

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
for me who is a perfectionist
I know what that means. Check, check, double check... Sometimes it's boring
and you will never get to a perfect goal. But others have some other value, so they think a perfectionist will
make perfect things, but in real a perfectionist can't do that !

How deep can you go ? Smile

Socrates... NOT!

Regards Startpoint.