Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Could I just use DBMAN SQL to upgrade my LINKS?

Quote Reply
Could I just use DBMAN SQL to upgrade my LINKS?
I have an old highly customized version of links which has out grown the flat file. Would it work to just upgrade the DBMAN that sits underneath links?

Quote Reply
Re: Could I just use DBMAN SQL to upgrade my LINKS? In reply to
If you are already using the flat file versions of Links, why would you want to "upgrade" to a different application? Seems logical to upgrade to Links SQL.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't links sit on top of DBMAN. The problem with upgrading to LINKS SQL is I'd have to go back and add all the extensions I've made. It was kinda painful to get it where it is today. I'd rather not go through that again.

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't links sit on top of DBMAN.
Okay...you're wrong.

In Reply To:
The problem with upgrading to LINKS SQL is I'd have to go back and add all the extensions I've made.
Do you mean modifications rather than extensions?

It would be more difficult to incorporate your modifications you've made in Links 2.0 into DBMAN SQL.

In Reply To:
It was kinda painful to get it where it is today. I'd rather not go through that again.
Sorry to tell you this...but upgrading from a flat file system into SQL will entail work...with BOTH DBMAN SQL and LINKS SQL...more with DBMAN SQL. Wink

Regards,

Eliot

Quote Reply
I've gotten some experience with both DBMan SQL and Links SQL, and all DBMan SQL is is an extenstion of the flat file system into the SQL database. DBMan is a front end to a database, and is not really a links development system. Like anything, you can push it to it's limits and make it do things, but you cannot make it be a "links" system. The amount of work necessary would be equivalent to re-writing Links SQL, without any of the benefits of the already invested development.

The best (perhaps only) way to upgrade would be to set up a Links SQL site in a private area, and work on it until it's ready to deploy, then reimport the database from Links 2.0 and go "live".

Additionally, the new version of links is even more extensive a rewrite, so that more functionality is enabled with less resource consumption.

The "short" of it, is Links SQL is a _NEW_ product, and all DBMan is is a rewrite of the "flatfile" system to use SQL. It has none of the power of Links SQL, and Alex posted recently it will be updated down the road, after Links SQL is released, at which time it will be brought "into the fold" as it were.

http://www.postcards.com
FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/