Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Comparison of Links SQL to others

Quote Reply
Comparison of Links SQL to others
Hi,
I am looking to purchase a Links styled program to manage links for my website. I am looking for one that's based on sql databases for speed.
I have looked at many program and there are three that I am considering. Links SQL, In-Link, and IndexU. Although In-Link (inlink.intechnic.com) and IndexU (www.indexu.com) are both several hundred dollars cheaper than Links SQL, links seem to have more features. But In-Link's admin utility is much easier to use than Links. I was wonder whether Links will have an admin feature so I can browse through the categories and administer links that way.
Also I would like to know what makes Links SQL, despite a higher price tag, a better choice than In-Link or IndexU.
Also, I've noticed that with Links, the admin has to build the pages manually each time they want it updated. In-Link is completely dynamic and the changes are reflected immediately. Since Links is based on mySQL, can it work dynamically?

Quote Reply
Re: Comparison of Links SQL to others In reply to
In Reply To:
But In-Link's admin utility is much easier to use than Links. I was wonder whether Links will have an admin feature so I can browse through the categories and administer links that way.
How can you say that the In-Link admin area is easier to use than Links and then go on to ask whether Links has an admin area?

Yes it does have an extremely easy to use admin area that lets you fully control the directory from template design to email subscriptions to mysql data to plugins etc....

Paul
Installations:http://wiredon.net/gt/
Support: http://wiredon.net/forum/

Quote Reply
- yes you can browse through links and categories easily inside links.
- no you do not need to re-build every time, there is a dynamic display of links ( see mine at www.ascifi.com/dir/page.cgi but you also have the flexibility to build static pages as well should you wish. (less server load)

http://www.ASciFi.com/ - The Science Fiction Portal
Quote Reply
Thank you for clearing some things up. But cost is still an issue and I would like to know how paying $300+ extra for Links SQL will benefit me in the long run.

Quote Reply
The major benefit is that you don't have to touch the internal codes to add enhancements (plug-ins). LINKS SQL v.2.X has a plug-in system that you simply "plug" updated scripts into your Links v.2.X application and all is upgraded.

Simply put, you can easily upgrade Links SQL without worrying about "code hacks" being preserved in future releases...the problem with the other applications you've noted is that you have to hack the nuts and bolts of the programs in order to add enhancements.

With LINKS SQL v.2.X, all administration takes place within the administrative console through your web browser. No need to open files, hack them, write history files, etc. The Links SQL v.2.X plug-in system keeps track of old codes and also automatically saves legacy files in case you want to revert back to an earlier version.

Not to mention that the GT community of programmers, hackers, and webmasters is quite active and new plug-ins and add-ons are being developed everyday...lacking in most other programming communities, with the exception of HyperSeek...

Also, GT is continually working on plug-ins that will work with third party software apps, like AdCycle, Vbulletin, etc.

Check out the other LINKS SQL forums and you will see that the program is highly flexible and also easy to customize as compared to other "directory" OR "portal" based applications.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
not to mention the excellent technical support you get here, especially from Alex who answers questions helpfully and promtly.

ASciFi.com http://www.ASciFi.com/
Help Desk http://www.Techuk.com/HelpDesk/
Quote Reply
What Newton meant about the administration ("an admin feature so I can browse through the categories and administer links that way") is that the InLink administration interface lets the user browse through categories and sub-categories to get to a group or link. It's a nice feature.

Newton, I've also been doing some comparison shopping. InLink is a nice program with a lot of potential to be a real competitor to Links SQL, but it has quite a long way to go. While the administrative interface is easier to use than Links SQL's interface for simple tasks, InLink is harder to customize; has no link checking capability; and does not allow links to be assigned to multiple categories. If your needs are straightforward, though, and you can use InLink pretty much as is out of the box, it may be fine for you.

samantha
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
InLink administration interface lets the user browse through categories and sub-categories to get to a group or link. It's a nice feature.
You can do that through the category browser in Links SQL 2.X[/b]...

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Hi,
Inlink and Index-U suck in comparison with Links SQL.

The only thing that may rival it is hyperseek.
I'm going to buy one of the two.
Why is Links SQL better than Hyperseek?

(I am edging towards Links SQL, I just want to feel confident about my decision. As far as I can tell, Links SQL is a lot "cleaner" than hyperseek, although I think that hyperseek is more evolved - i may be wrong though.)

Quote Reply
My understanding is that Hyperseek does NOT contain a robust plug-in system that allows you to dynamically and automatically update/upgrade/customize the scripts. I think to a large extent, you still have to open the "nuts and bolts" of HyperSeek to edit/modify/hack/customize it.

The HyperSeek author jockos (?) is a registered user of this forum and from time to time, he provides surprisingly objective points about each software package. Also, he and Alex (owner/president/god of Gossamer Threads) have a good working relationship.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I hope I'm not putting my foot in anything but I've spoken to the creator of Hyperseek a few times and it seems that Alex got the plugin system idea from Hyperseek so that would lead me to believe that maybe Hyperseek works in a similar way although maybe the plugin system isn't quite as developed as Links SQL

Paul

Quote Reply
Paul,

Yes, I should've been more clear...while HyperSeek does have a "plug-in" system, my understanding and initial testing of the product is that it is not as robust or reliable as the Links SQL plug-in system. IMHO, of course.

Also, I believe that GT is more committed to working with other third party apps, like AdCycle, VBulletin, WWWThreads, and even UBB to make the product a true versatile portal development package.

Sorry for the confusion.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Hi,

No, Links SQL plugins is quite different from Hyperseek from what I've seen and the Plugin System you see on Links SQL didn't come from HyperSeek. Links SQL offers several different ways to extend/enhance:

1. Plugins. There can alter any aspect of the program, and even easily replace aspects of the code. Installation is done through your admin and you can pick from a growing list of plugins contributed by the user community and ones we've done. Currently there are 11 plugins, and to add them in, you click once to list them, once to download them and once to install. That's it.

2. If you know a little perl, you can use the Template Globals function (which i think is more like Hyperseeks concept of plugins). You go to Template Globals and add a perl subroutine. You can then put the template tag anywhere on your site and it will run the code you just did.

3. If you know a bit more perl, you can create modules, and run them by just fulling calling the function as in <%YourModule::Yourfunction ('args')%> and it can either return what your function runs, or set/alter the existing tags on the page.

Hope this helps, and if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Oops - I'm 100% sure that John told me that you got the plugin idea from Hyperseek.Smile

Ah well not to worry.....it isn't important.

Paul

Quote Reply
jcokos (Hyperseek author here).

Just happened by today, checking out the progress on GossamerMail ( which I will be buying soon, Alex :) ) and saw this thread and wanted to clarify a little bit on how the Hyperseek plugins work.

I'm speaking from ignorance here, because I don't know how GT has implemented the sytem, but I'll explain ours.

In Hyperseek, within the templates, you specify with special HTML tags (plugins) what part of the search engine you want to go where inside of your page (ie: the listings, the category list, the search box, etc). There are about 50 standard plugins representing all parts of the program. Users can create custom plugins, as they please. A custom plugin is a perl module that the program will "use" as needed. Custom plugins can be anything: pulling results from another search engine, calling a banner from a program like adCycle, news headlines, a link to a related forum in UBB or whatever you can think of. Custom plugins inherit all of the system settings and environment. Without getting under the hood of the program, a custom plugin can be added very easily, by using the built-in plugin editor.

Links' system looks to operate in much the same way, but without having seen the insides, I can't really speak to it.

As far as who did these first? We've been using plugins in our CGI's for a couple of years now, so I guess we got there first, but that is really inconsequential. What matters is that Links has them now, and that all GT users have this great extendability. If Alex got the idea from me, great .... you guys are all benefiting from it, and I get a "warm fuzzy" knowing that something I thought of a few years ago has actually caught on and becomming a standard (Infopop and some others are moving to a similar system as well, or so I hear)

I've said it here in these forums a hundred times. The competition between GT and iWeb has done wonderful things for both programs, and our users. Think of where we'd all be if Alex and I didn't push each other so hard. We're fortunate to have a friendly rivalry. Unlike so many other companies out there that are so cuthroat, GT and iWeb are quite comfortable in our respective places, with our target audiences, and respecting each other's space.

Cheers, and good luck to everyone out there.

John Cokos

P.S.
I am considering hosting a "Directory Masters" conference here in Seattle in late summer or early fall. Trying to get as many people that run their own search engine together in one big room to discuss marketing ideas, how to remain profitable, getting more traffic, etc. If noone minds, I'll post here in the forums to announce it officially once I get all of the particulars figured out.

JC

Quote Reply
To clarify a tad further ...

Paul Said:
>> Oops - I'm 100% sure that John told me that you got the plugin idea from Hyperseek.

The key word there is "idea". I didn't mean to suggest that Links is using the same system as Hyperseek, merely the concept of a plugin ... which is essentially what both systems do: let you write a perl module that affects the way the system acts .... exists in both systems, and some others that are springing up.

I'd never accuse Alex of stealing code or anything like that, he's much too skilled a programmer to have to do that. I do think, however, that he, myself, and most other programmers do keep a watchful eye on the rest of the industry, and when you see somthing cool, a concept "hits you", you run with it ... change it, tweak it, make it fit your system, and your users' needs. While based in concept on something else, the programmer gives it a life, and an identity of it's own.

Quote Reply
Oh yes definitely, that is exactly what I meant. I apologise if it didn't come across that way. What I meant what exactly that - the "idea" came from Hyperseek - not the way in which it was implemented, nor the code, nor anything else - simply the idea.

I just made a quick search for Hyperseek in the forums and found a few interesting threads from a while back and to be honest they weren't a pretty sight. Don't know why I mentioned that but it made an impression on me......maybe others interested ion this subject should read them.

Paul

Quote Reply
Paul,

You're right ... things got ugly a few times. I think that when you have people that are so vehemently supportive of something (me, with HS, and everyone here, with Links), we all tend to read too much into what's said, and the intentions behind them.

My errors in the past were in coming into the "enemy camp" and trying to change minds. Well, a lot of time has passed since then. Alex and I have become friends, and I think that people here don't necessarily see me as the enemy any longer. There's lots of mutual respect now, and that's the way it should be. I'm happy to be welcome here now, although I do not (at least I try not to) overstep boundaries. This is YOUR home, not mine, and I respect that. I do regret not having been as forthright in the past, but recognize, as I'm sure most of you do, that as time passes, things and people change, mostly for the better.

Thanks, Paul, for clarifying your comments as well. I didn't think that you meant it as I read it, but since my initial read on it was what it was, I thought a further clarification on my part was in order.

JC

Quote Reply
Well I think that is pretty shitty (pardon the language). Although I was not around or at least not involved in those past threads, I think it was unnecessary. Yes I support GT and their products which is why I sit on my lazy ass all day trying to answer posts but I personally don't see yourself as the enemy at all. I mean I know that GT is the main party involved and my opinion is minor but still, I personally have no problem with you being a member here and keeping updated on new features that GT are implementing in their products, after all, as you say, that is how both products have improved so much over the time you have know Alex, and Alex known you. IMHO those who are bitter towards you are naive as they are burning bridges and possibly hindering further development of these great products, and in turn reducing the quality of product available to them.

Anyway I'm ranting and it is 10.30pm and I've had no dinner....

Smile

Paul

Quote Reply
It's like I told Alex once in a conversation we had a long time ago ....

There's about a billion websites out there now, probably a good 1/4 to 1/3 of them are candidates for using either Links or Hyprseek ( every industry needs a portal! ).

There's plenty of people out there for us each to market to, so while GT and iWeb are competitors, I don't look at us like 2 guys on an island fighting over a single coconut.

Enjoy your dinner, and get some sleep.....

Quote Reply
Hehe.......gonna be a few hours before I hit the sack :)

......and before people think I'm creeping to John or GT, well think again.....

Paul