Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Category template

Quote Reply
Category template
Hi!
Just checked the demo and i couldn't find a section Custom Template in Browse/Some Category/Modify Category.
I thought that each category can be customized differently.
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: [churik] Category template In reply to
Quote:
I thought that each category can be customized differently.

Yes you thought right.. each category *can be* customized differently.

Vishal

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [NeedScripts.Com] Category template In reply to
How do i do it?
Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
When you add/modify a category via the LinksSQL admin panel, you should see a "Category Template" field. Simply enter the name of the template you want to use (i.e regional_category.html), or I believe you can even use a whole template set by just entering "template_set" in this field.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
How do i do it?
Thanks in advance.

Well Andy said it before me :)

All what you need to first setup different type of templates that you want, And that is done, use the edit button for category and under the template opiton type in the name of the set you want to use for that category.

Also, if you want, I can upload the manual for you, I am pretty sure that the manual will not only solve almost all (if not all) question that you might be having, but will also show you more features that Links SQL has.

I have been using Links SQL for good time now and you can view our site at www.needscripts.com it is only using Links SQL and based on my experience I would say that I have yet to find any script/software that is even half as good as Links SQL.

Vishal

Vishal
Quote Reply
Nice site, thanks for the replies.
From what i understood, there is such a field 'template set' in the edit category option but it doesn't inclued in the demo by some reason..???
Quote Reply
Hi,

We'll get the demo updated to the latest version that has this feature. Sorry about that!

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I have been using Links SQL for good time now and you can view our site at www.needscripts.com it is only using Links SQL and based on my experience I would say that I have yet to find any script/software that is even half as good as Links SQL.
I suggest you read the latest hotscripts.com newsletter. They have a very different opinion on matters and especially towards some other similar sites that are using the same third party engine that they discarded.

You run an excellent site Vishal - and deserve all the success you have.
Quote Reply
Re: [Gypsypup] Category template In reply to
Quote:
I suggest you read the latest hotscripts.com newsletter.

Do you really think they would send me their newsletter? especially now when Need Scripts is actually bigger than hotscripts ;) Would love to read it though, if you can, then please do forward it to me at vishal[at]needscripts.com.

Quote:
You run an excellent site Vishal - and deserve all the success you have.

Thank you for your kind words, they are very much appreciated.

Vishal

Vishal
Quote Reply
No, I do not have a copy of it anymore. It went straight into the trash can. I use my Hotmail account for mail from them. If anyone else can help out please do.
Quote Reply
Re: [Gypsypup] Category template In reply to
Ryan and the other guys at Hotscripts have always been big supporters of Gossamer Threads and continue to be. What I understood is that they were simply seeing too much competition with exactly the same format as they had, powered by exactly the same software. With the buckets of cash behind their business, they decided to forge ahead and build their own proprietary system to differentiate themselves from others who simply used the same program to compete.

There was no mention that Links SQL was at all an inferior program, it's just that they wanted to have something different, and something homegrown so that they can modify the code easily in-house.

Jack.
Quote Reply
Re: [Jack] Category template In reply to
I agree with you Jack. It seems like they wanted to setup a different backend system, something of their own, and they seem to have done good job with it too. However after having spend hours and hours on both (ours and theirs) website, I still believe that Links SQL is way better solution then their custom developed product.

Also the reason I believe many many many people are using Links SQL is not because they like hotscripts, but because Links SQL does actually cuts down the work by 90% when it comes to creating a directory type website. It just happens that Web Development is one of the popular category, and hence there are hundreds of websites out there competing in the same category.

Today Need Scripts is #1 in the world and hotscripts is #2, but that does not mean we will not have competition in future, it is just part of the game and I am pretty pleased to be having Links SQL script working on my site :)

Again keep up the great work and thanks for creating a wonderful tool like Links SQL.

Vishal

Vishal