Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Can I show a logo after a link in the results page ?

Quote Reply
Can I show a logo after a link in the results page ?
Hello,

Is there a way I can have Links SQL to show a small image or logo after (or before ?) a link in the results page.
For instance the users that add links and upload a small image can have that image shown up with their link (when the link is in the results page).

AND, can the image be weighted and, thus show first.

Regards,
Cedric.
Quote Reply
Re: [Chewda] Can I show a logo after a link in the results page ? In reply to
1) Yeah, thats definatly possible. You can either add a new image field, and then use a global to show the output, or even simpler, you could add another field, and get them to type a URL to their image.

2) I would imagine so. I would add 2 fields. 1 for the image, and another ENUM, yes/no, which you would set to 'yes' if an image was found. They you would just edit the build_sort_order and search_sort_order settings in Setup > Build Options.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Can I show a logo after a link in the results page ? In reply to
Ok... now I know Links SQL can do that.

Thanks a lot for your answer !
Quote Reply
Hi,

Take a look at http://betterbeads.com in the shopping area.

I think that is the most current version of the logo program.

Several of my other sites have different templates running, I think Origami.net is one. Formatting was a problem, as was handling the way Links assigns ID's. But all I need to attach to this is auto thumbnailing routines, and slim down the configuration options (they were set to allow a much more robust image management than needed for this program).

I have been working on it this week, and hope to have a release soon.

The management of the logos is via a web interface. If you are an admin you can log on, edit/alter/approve the logos. It uses a system similar to the "modify links" system pre-1.1 links. It does not go through the admin system at all, and logos can be validated/hidden separately from a link, hopefully in preparation for a payment system.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Can I show a logo after a link in the results page ? In reply to
I'm interested in that logo plug-in. I guess I could use it with the Shopping Cart plug-in to have my customers pay before they can send in an image.

When do you think you will be releasing that image plug-in ?

Cedric.
Quote Reply
You don't need a plugin to do it ;) Its just a case of adding an image field (either a URL one, or one that will actually upload their image to your server).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Ok,

Thanks a lot for your help.
Now I understand what you mean. I just add a "image url" field...

But can I hide that field. Because I don't want ALL customers to use an image.. Just the ones that have paid for that.

Cedric.
Quote Reply
How are you planning to let them pay? It may be an idea for you to add the image URL in after they have submitted the link, so you can manually check if they have paid correctly.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy,

To get the functionality people want, you do need a plugin.

The image field in Links only allows an image to be uploaded. There is no checking done, and no way to validate/unvalidate the image, or allow a link to show, but not the image.

Also, managing images is more difficult, since it's got to be done through the admin, link by link. this plugin uses the "modify" format, and should allow quick approval and changing of images attached to links.

So yes. You can add an image to a link, but the functionality is pretty basic.

This plugin is a stripped down, (streamlined?) version of the larger image program, and is close to what I had about a year ago in limited release. I'm trying to swat some bugs, and reduce the number of additional templates, and a few other things, including moving the image manipulation into a .pm library system. *THAT* is the work I lost in the machine crash and computer theft. Every time I take a step forward, I end up a few steps back.

It uses a hard-coded logo field, rather than a separate table, but this was a performance issue for searches and category listings. The multiple image program uses a separate table.

Once it's released, hopefully it will be a group project for updates/additions, although other "free" plugins have generated only limited interest in that area.

It only requires netpbm and Image::Size to be installed. Image::Size is installed on some servers automatically, and netpbm is an easy addition, that can even be put in your own links directory, or user account. I've also got to see if I can cut out just the parts of netpbm I use, which would make it even more simple to install. The dependencies were a problem for some, but until other people start using this, all I know is its been working on 3 different servers, and 3 different operating systems for me over the past 2 years or so (in various forms).

If you don't want to resize the logos automatically, all it needs is Image::Size to grab the image information and check to see the logo is the right size. As a perl module, Image::Size can be installed in your Plugins directory, if your server doesn't have it. (that's one cool thing about perl... <G> it really doesn't care where the libraries are, as long as they are in @INC).

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Hi again,

What I need is the following:

1- My customer orders the "upload logo ability" using any form of shopping cart.
2- I validate that order and enable that special link to be able to upload a file (with width restrictions) on my server. And from that moment, the image or logo is shown on the results page (when that user link show up in the results of course).

Do I need a plug-in for the 2nd point, or is it built in Links SQL ?

Cedric.
Quote Reply
You need a plug-in to do the image checking/size checking.

I think my plugin will do what you want, just not ready for general release yet.

There are a few bugs/sticking points I need to work out, and you will have to set the "Logo_Validated" field to "Yes" manually, if you use that to mark a paid up link. I will see how GT plans to implement the payment system, and see if I can remain compatible. It's hard, without seeing their plans for paid-links.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Hello

I do not understand your site?
http://thepugdocs.com/cgi-bin/LinkSQL/detail_page.cgi?ID=251&d=1

How to buy your scripts?

There is a demonstration?

Thank you

Mick

Quote Reply
Re: [mick31] Can I show a logo after a link in the results page ? In reply to
Looks like his shop URL goes to a 404;

http://thepugdocs.com/vShop/vitem-index.htm

May wanna get this fixed up pugdog :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk