Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Alphabetical categories

Quote Reply
Alphabetical categories
I would like to know if LinksSQL can run the widget 'mod display search results' by date, rating, vote...

I have more than 4000 categories... Is there some mod that shows the categories alphabetically like Google?

I want to buy the LinksSQL Spanish version, when it will be available?

Thank you.

-----------------------
Nomada
Quote Reply
Re: [Nomada] Alphabetical categories In reply to
Hi,

Yes, you can change the sort order of the search results by any column. By default Links SQL returns search results with the most relevant results first, but you can change that to return by date, rating, votes or any column.

There is an Alpaha_Bar plugin for Links SQL that lets you display your categories using an alphabetical bar, but this is not standard in Links SQL.

The spanish version is all translated and is just being tested by our translator and will be available very soon.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Alphabetical categories In reply to
Thank you Alex!!

Will you notify the Spanish Version final with the newsletter?

Carlos
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Alphabetical categories In reply to
In Reply To:

There is an Alpaha_Bar plugin for Links SQL that lets you display your categories using an alphabetical bar, but this is not standard in Links SQL.

Hi Alex:

Pugdog says that the Alpha_Bar is for the links order, doesn't for the categories:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=176684

Please, can you help me? What code do I need?

Thanks in advance Alex!

-----------------------
Nomada
Quote Reply
I'm pretty sure you can just edit the category sort order in the 'settings' section. Just set what order you want the categories to be shown in, i.e. Title ASC or Title DESC.

Hopefully that is right, otherwise I just made myself look even more of an idiot than I am Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [A.J.] Alphabetical categories In reply to
Thank you to A.J., but your you have not read the previous thread completely.

Quote:
I want to display an alpha_bar like Google, only for the categories. You can see at the bottom of this URL http://directory.google.com/Top/Sports/

I try to show the categories in the static directory, not in the search and with one alphabetic bar like

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|...

Thanks again!

-----------------------
Nomada
Quote Reply
I had an idea for a global/function that would insert a category bar, but it's not all thought out.

If you pass in a category ID, you can get a list of all categories that have that "FatherID", ie: which are children (subcategories) of that category. If you take the first letter of each category as a "key" value, and the category name as the "value" itself, you can create a hash of letters and their associated categories.

Using "if exists $hash->{key}" you can decide if a letter exists, and you can create a hot-link or ignore the leter (ie: you can create a bar of only letters that have values, or a bar with all letters, but only letters with values get linked).

The "trick" is what to do with the values. In a static site, you'd need to generate all those pages and have them sitting there, which means alterations to the build process.

In a dynamic site, you could call a template, that calls another global/function that simply gets all the categories with a "FatherID" of NN and is LIKE "[letter]%"

It's not terribly hard to have the function write out the values as pages, just send the hash_ref to the Site_HTML_display routine and Print it to a file, but _TRIGGER_ is the key, so you don't do this for each and every call. It would have to be done during the build process, which means a hook -- and... it looks like there is a build_category hook <G>. So, I guess, if I can figure a few things out, i can add this to the plugin code.

Might take a few days, as I have a lot to do, but it looks like there can be a hook on the build category, and you can set up so that _all_ categories have a subcategory bar, a category with more than NN subcategories has a status bar, or only selected categories get a subcategory bar. Ouch... the permutations are starting to rise again.....

<sigh> ... no rest for the weary.....

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.