Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

who's online session not deleted after closong browser window

Quote Reply
who's online session not deleted after closong browser window
hello guys.

I found a problem in the newest Links-SQL distribution from which sessions are stored in a database table.

When I log in , it wil add a session entry.
When I logout, it will delete the session entry
When I close the browser, session will stay, but i need to login again, and i get 2 sessions entries

What is the best solution to build a proper who's online script without duplicates?
Quote Reply
Re: [ericho] who's online session not deleted after closong browser window In reply to
Did you have cookies enabled in browser?

BTW: when you close your browser, session doesn't delete, only when you log in again, and the session is expired.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] who's online session not deleted after closong browser window In reply to
Hello webmaster33

I have cookies enabled.
when I user login and close the browser the old session would stay in the database.
when the user login again, he/she has 2 sessions in the database.

my question is:
does the engine also delete the old session when it's expired or is it unquilty session & would it stay.
in that case, your session table has a lot of mass sessions.
Quote Reply
Re: [ericho] who's online session not deleted after closong browser window In reply to
- Do you use GT Community?
- What cookie content is stored?
- What browser is used? Even if cookies are generally enabled, there are browsers, which can deny cookie storage for a selected site.
- Do you check the checkbox at login, which says "remember me" or something like that?
EDIT: - ah, I checked, session expire is hour based, so if user_session_length option is set 3 hour, session will not expire earlier, that's why you don't see sessions expiring a few minutes later, on next login.

Just a few ideas.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...

Last edited by:

webmaster33: Jun 15, 2003, 2:18 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] who's online session not deleted after closong browser window In reply to
Hello webmaster33

I do not use GT Community I have only links-SQL.
I use different browsers like MSIE5+, MSIE6 Netscape7, Safari (MacOS-X)

there is no checkbox in my login, the timeout is 3 hours.
Old sessions will be deleted adter 3 hours?
Quote Reply
Quote:
there is no checkbox in my login
Uhm, sorry, it is at GForum login.

Quote:
Old sessions will be deleted adter 3 hours?
Yes, of course. Depends on the config you set.
Also there is a config option named user_sessions, where you can choose how to manage sessions: through Cookies or URL.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Hi,

Quote:
When I close the browser, session will stay, but i need to login again, and i get 2 sessions entries

This is so that you can be logged in with two different browsers at the same time (actually quite common, we used to have it so that on login it would remove any sessions you owned that were still active, but had a lot of problems).

What who's online are you using? Are you building your own? If so, then you need to just select distinct users.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] who's online session not deleted after closong browser window In reply to
Hello Alex

I thought to build a who's online system with grabbing the data from the sessions table, but what is the best solution to build this?