Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

verify several URL in the verify Links routine ?

Quote Reply
verify several URL in the verify Links routine ?
Hi all,

My LSQL indexes several URLs for each record (lets say the fiel "URL" plus additional fields "URL_de", "URL_fr")

how can I verify also "URL_de", "URL_fr" in the verify links routine ??

or too complicate ?

Thanks in advance,

Fab
Quote Reply
Re: [fff] verify several URL in the verify Links routine ? In reply to
You would have to modify Tools.pm I beleive. Your best bet would be to write/get a simple script written, which would do this for you. You could then run it via Telnet, and it would be able to check any of these URL fields.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] verify several URL in the verify Links routine ? In reply to
wooooua Andy,

Thanks for your "within 30 seconds" reply !

but ...I am no so good at perl as you suggest ....

would be a plugin or -far better- a enhancement in LSQL to select via a dropdown, the field that the verify routine has to verify ?

is it a too big change in LSQL just to pass that value to the verify routine ? any idea how ?

(of course default selection has to be "URL" for common install)

thanks,

Fab
Quote Reply
Afraid I wouldn't have any idea how to hack the Tools.pm file to support this. It would be a heck of a lot easier for someone to write a Perl script, which can be run via SSH/Telnet. That way you could just add some extra fields to the lsql_Links table, say;

Status
Status_fr
Status_sp

...or whatever.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi,

You can have it check the other links by editing verify_child.pl. However, it would be quite difficult to have it store a mix of responses (say 200 for one link, but the french one was 404). If you just wanted the links checked, and if any of them are bad, the entire link is bad, you could just change verify_child.pl to check all fields.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] verify several URL in the verify Links routine ? In reply to
thanks Andy & Alex,

I'll do that :
  • add a custom dropdown in tools_verify.html with the fields containing URLs
  • modify verify_child.pl to check what was passed by the previous page if the field is not empty

so a link is bad if *any* of the *non* empty URL field is bad as suggested by Alex to stay with a simple logic.

and voila !!!

it's a pitty to change the code ... because of futur upgrade ... but ...have to if I want that feature (Alex : could'nt that be included in the future version ... I would'nt ask for copyright Wink Alex)

btw : LSQL is the most expensive script I ever bought (I am an individual, no company) but I honestly must recognize that the support and service is according to the price

Bye,

Fabrice
Quote Reply
verify Links routine minus http:// In reply to
The URL of links listed in my database does not include http:// - it is included in the templates instead because not all my links have websites.

Verify links produces an error for all links as being badly formatted. Is there a way I can have the verify links routine automatically insert the http:// when it is checking links?

Also, many of my pages have .shtml extensions, is this catered for or is it contributing to the error?

Thanks in advance for your help

Alba