Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

user modify

Quote Reply
user modify
I tried a lot of options but it does not work
I need a script where users can modify their details
username, password, etc
it may directly written in the database, thats easier, they can see their modified details directly.

In the admin, you can do this with db.cgido=modify_search_results&db=Users&Username=testuser&Username-opt and much more...

who have similar script that can be placed in the user cgi directory.
I started to make copy of db.cgi and appropiate.pm files but this has too many risks, and won't work.

Quote Reply
Re: user modify In reply to
I'm very surprised that this ability was not included in the new LinksSQL.

Quote Reply
Here is the problem:

A user is verified.

Now they are allowed to change this "verified" information.

They will need to be re-verified with the new information.

But, they will still need to be currently verified with the old information, until the new information is confirmed, at which point the old information is replaced by the newly confirmed new information.

If the new information is not confirmed, what happens? Does the confirm get resent? Does the change request get cancelled? Do both records get cancelled as a "hack" attempt?

BTW: this is because a user can register with good information, then change it to bad information, and then cause trouble. The record of the "good" information is now gone, with no way to track it, (unless it's all logged) and then you have just created a registered user troublemaker.

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://pugdog.com/FAQ

Quote Reply
Hi pugdog,

I understand the possible problems but I personally would not care to verify their new password or zip code etc and would not let them change the username. I think things would be fine without tracking the changes.

Thanks for the reply

Shane

Quote Reply
If a user changes their email address, which is how you "validated" them in the first place, there is no way to track them down. There is no guarantee the postal address supplied was correct or valid.

Right now, users can get their password mailed to them, and it shouldn't be too hard to extend that.

But, I personally don't want to write code that could cause problems! If a user wants to turn off checking, that's one thing. But it has to be there.

This too is on my list... part of the postcards upgrade mod I'm working on.

The problem is that with the way the w3t authentication is done, I don't know what sort of problems will be caused.

The only real way to do proper authentication is if there is a separate authentication utility, that works in both directions. The unidirectional w3t->Links means changing/updating in Links is probably not going to work well.

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://pugdog.com/FAQ

Quote Reply
I was thinking of adding other fields to the user database that I would like to be updated such as personal info, changing their email would be a problem but something I wouldn't let them update like that. Looking forward to whatever you make when you get a chance.

Shane

P.S. If your upgrading from a previous version of links do your link owners automatically get a generated password such as 5xdjwo59? If they do at least changing their password to what they want would be a good idea.