Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
nph-import
I like nph-import, but I can't figure out how to get it to skip over entire categories without reading the entire category.

For example, I can specifiy that I would like it to parse the Top/Business category of the ODP, BUT even so, it still will go through the two categories before Top/Business which are Top/Adult and Top/Arts, and line by line, url by url say something like...."Skipping...." until it gets to Top/Business.

As I watch this I notice that it does it line by line, rather than having the logic say "As soon as Top/Business is found, start importing the links".

Please help. I've searched the forum archives to no avail.
Quote Reply
Re: [takacsj] nph-import In reply to
Afraid it can't skip the categories...thats why people like me (and others) offer DMOZ slices, which are the content.rdf.u8 files, sliced into smaller pieces (i.e regional, kids and teens, computers etc). Makes it a LOT easier for people like you Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] nph-import In reply to
Thanks for your reply. I may look it up.

The issue is puzzling as it seems like such a basic Computer Science 101 type of thing, to not do more work than is absolutely necessary.

Anyway, I'm writing my own Java program to parse through the data. If I get bogged down, I'll check out your site. Does your slice take into account the mutltiple tables that Links SQL uses?
Quote Reply
Re: [takacsj] nph-import In reply to
>>>Does your slice take into account the mutltiple tables that Links SQL uses? <<<

Not sure what you mean. My script just parses the data into seperate files, like;

content.rdf.u8
------

Adult => adult.slice.dump

------

Arts => arts.slice.dump

------

Business => business.slice.dump

------

Its just a case of going through the main file, and finding the start and end of the main category...and then writing to a new file.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!