Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

moved to new server, nothing working

Quote Reply
moved to new server, nothing working
My Web host moved my site over to a new server and now I can't use my Links SQL. I can't even log in and none of the cgi scripts are working.

Now with Links 2.0, I managed to delete the .htaccess so there was no protection but get this error when I try to enter:

Error including libraries: Can't locate /home/sites/site86/web/cgi-bin/saabdir/admin/db.pl in @INC (@INC contains: /home/sites/site13/web/cgi-bin/saabdir/admin /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005 .) at /home/sites/site13/web/cgi-bin/saabdir/admin/admin.cgi line 28.Make sure they exist, permissions are set properly, and paths are set correctly.any ideas, anyone?
Quote Reply
Re: [rayhne] moved to new server, nothing working In reply to
It is probably not as drastic as it seems, although you will have to get into your cgi-bin area and make sure the paths are exactly correct.. (ie. pwd and grep on the scripts) and make sure that if they have changed any directy names via linking verses explicit directories...

I reccomend putting the pressure on your web host techie to assist you with the transition, it would seem to be their responsability...

Good Luck...

-Scott
Quote Reply
I think this is the wrong forum for your question. You are using Links2 not Links SQL.
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] moved to new server, nothing working In reply to
Actually, I'm using both and having the same problem with both.
Quote Reply
The problem is the paths. You need to update links.cfg and ConfigData.pm
Quote Reply
Oh and also the use lib line in all the cgi scripts.
Quote Reply
I guess the next question would be what do I change/update them to?
Quote Reply
The new server path - I assume it is different?

Quote Reply
Good question. :P The web host didn't say it would be but obviously it is. ::sigh::

Well, off to bug the host.
Quote Reply
The easiest thing would be to reinstall links over the top the current version. Just don't overwrite your config and your templates.

This will update the paths in the various scripts.

You might then have to go to the admin->config area, and set the paths to the new locations. This will preserve all your other configuration data.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] moved to new server, nothing working In reply to
How can I reinstall without overwriting config, templates, data?
Quote Reply
Where's is the links.cfg in Links SQL?
Quote Reply
The files you want to save are config.pm and configdata.pm

There is no links.cfg file any more :) not for awhile.

When you run the install program, just follow the prompts, and it should ask you to backup or overwrite. I believe (when I installed the 2.1 a second time) it "skipped" the config files correctly. The installer is getting smarter, and preserves what defaults it can, it seems.

But, the only files you really need to worry about, if you've extensively modified your site, are your templates. The config files can be easily set up as there are only a few dozen options that anyone bothers with.

In your case, because it's a new server, new location, etc, I'm not sure the install script will update the paths in the config files, which is why you would need to do that manually, although, with luck, the install.cgi will test the directory paths, see they don't exist, and prompt with the new paths or for the new paths :)

I have limited experience moving an existing install to a new path, as one of the things I've tried to do is standardize all my paths pretty much for this reason :)

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Went through the install but can't finish it because it tells me I don't have access to the database. :p oh joy...
Quote Reply
That is something your ISP is going to have to address for you :)

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
I figured that but maybe you can answer this...as long as I don't check Overwrite, my data should still be there and available, right?
Quote Reply
If you don't select overwrite, you should preserve your templates and such.

If you can't connect to the database, it doesn't really matter if you pick overwrite your tables, you can't :) <G>

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Once I get this sucker reinstalled, will I need to reinstall the plugins?
Quote Reply
Okay, I've re-installed Links SQL but my data is no longer in the table. Anyone have any ideas why? I did not overwrite.

I do have my last backup. Can I just restore that? And if I do, should I re-install any plug-ins I was using first?
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Okay, I've re-installed Links SQL but my data is no longer in the table. Anyone have any ideas why? I did not overwrite.

I do have my last backup. Can I just restore that? And if I do, should I re-install any plug-ins I was using first?
Quote Reply
Hi,

If your data is no longer in your tables, most likely you have a different prefix (Setup->SQL Server). You can use MySQLMan to see your existing tables, and you most likely have two sets.

Yes, you'll need to reinstall plugins.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] moved to new server, nothing working In reply to
Okay, I just looked via MySQLMan (which makes me nervious, by the way...) and I see whats wrong. I do have two prefixes. How do I repair this? Do I just change the Table Prefix in the SQL Server setup?

Do I install the plugins before I connect to the table or does it matter?
Quote Reply
Hi,

One of the prefixes will have data in it, the other will be empty. Go to setup->sql server and change the prefix to the one that has data and select recreate tables (but dont overwrite!).

You should install the plugins after you have your prefix right.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] moved to new server, nothing working In reply to
Everything working...thank you. :)