Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

modify.html and modify.cgi

Quote Reply
modify.html and modify.cgi
I wanted to make modifying a resource to be called by the ID instead of the URL.
In modify.html, I changed the input type field “name” to use “link ID” instead of “link URL”. This seems to work perfectly. Not only does the ID number call the resource, but also when selecting a resource in modify_select.html it opens to the correct resource to modify. My question is this: will changing the field “name” to link ID instead of link URL have any adverse side effects that will show up later. It works so well that there must be something wrong.

Quote Reply
Re: modify.html and modify.cgi In reply to
Well, if you also edited the modify.cgi to check the correct field, then there should be no problem. One problem is that without pulling the correct ID and if you did not make adjustments in the modify.cgi script and if you did not add a hidden field or compare the original value of the ID field, then there is a chance that the link will not be able to be modified.

But if it is working, why fix it, right?

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Well, I knew there must be a catch. When I modify a resource this way it is updated without passing it to be verified (or held for approval) first. Does anyone know how I might correct this? I am not very knowledgeable with perl and I am learning by doing. I seem to be stuck

Quote Reply
I can't edit modify.cgi. I am on a virtual server and due to permissions I am unable to overwrite files. (I hate this permission thing)

Quote Reply
you should be able to edit them via the template editor.

If you can't, then you should be able to edit them locally and upload via FTP.

One of those should work.

PUGDOG®
PUGDOG® Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://pugdog.com/FAQ

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Well, if you also edited the modify.cgi to check the correct field
Could you explain how to do this? I confused. This modifing by ID instead of URL has gotten me stuck. And this is the last hurdle for me before I am finished. So close and yet so far....