Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

link modifications not showing up in admin form

Quote Reply
link modifications not showing up in admin form
I originally posted this in the PHP forum as part of a list of to-figure-out things I've run across while testing and setting up my 2.1.1 installation, but upon further review (the play does not stand as called!), it appears to be a general Links issue...

Quote:
I modified a few links through the user interface and all seemed to go well (confirmation of the modification, and the email to admin properly showed the before and after), but when I went to the admin area to validate them, it showed blank forms for each link awaiting validation with the following in the message textarea:

Your link:

Unknown Tag: 'URL'

that was submitted on Unknown Tag: 'Add_Date' has been rejected...

Any ideas what's going on? New additions don't seem to have that problem.

Quote:
Interestingly, when viewing the Links_Changes table in phpMyAdmin, I'm unable to use the Edit (or Delete) link on any of the modified links. It would appear something about the ChgRequest column is giving it problems. When doing the same through MySQLMan, I can view ChgRequest's contents without any troubles. Looks like all the fields are properly reflected there, so at least I know the data is being submitted.

I didn't see this problem mentioned anywhere else in the forums. Has anyone else encountered it?

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: [Dan Kaplan] link modifications not showing up in admin form In reply to
[bump]
Quote Reply
[bump]

Quote:
Has anyone else encountered it?
Yes, no, maybe?

I'd like to go live with the v2.x upgrade soon, but this is a fairly major holdup... If no one else has had the problem, then it would seem to be something I did, although I have no idea what I might have done to affect things in that area.

Is the G-T staff completely swamped or on vacation? Seems the replies have been getting increasingly slow of late...

Dan
Quote Reply
[bump]

Getting lonely around here...

To expand on my original post above, the Links_Changes table also has some problems I didn't previously notice when viewed through MySQLMan -- no edit/delete links appear when browsing the rows... If it helps any, here is what a sample modified link looks like when viewed in both phpMyAdmin and MySQLMan (in that order), phpMyAdmin requiring me to open it in a new window and getting an error in the resulting window:

Code:
\\\'Title\\\' => \\\'Harry Jerome Track Classic\\\',
\\\'URL\\\' => \\\'http://www.harryjerome.com/\\\',
\\\'LinkOwner\\\' => \\\'Dan\\\',
\\\'Add_Date\\\' => \\\'1999-04-28\\\',
\\\'Mod_Date\\\' => \\\'2002-07-16\\\',
\\\'Description\\\' => \\\'Swangard Stadium, Burnaby, BC, Canada.

edited description.\\\',
\\\'Contact_Name\\\' => \\\'test\\\',
\\\'Contact_Email\\\' => \\\'test@email.com\\\',
\\\'Hits\\\' => \\\'161\\\',
\\\'isNew\\\' => \\\'No\\\',
\\\'isChanged\\\' => \\\'No\\\',
\\\'isPopular\\\' => \\\'No\\\',
\\\'isValidated\\\' => \\\'Yes\\\',
\\\'Rating\\\' => \\\'5.85\\\',
\\\'Votes\\\' => \\\'26\\\',
\\\'Status\\\' => \\\'200\\\',
\\\'Date_Checked\\\' => \\\'2002-04-11 02:04:18\\\',
\\\'Priority\\\' => \\\'0\\\',
\\\'isFeatured\\\' => \\\'0\\\',
\\\'DeadLink\\\' => \\\'0\\\',
\\\'CatLinks.CategoryID\\\' => [
\\\'14%

Code:
{
\'ID\' => \'753\',
\'Title\' => \'Harry Jerome Track Classic\',
\'URL\' => \'http://www.harryjerome.com/\',
\'LinkOwner\' => \'Dan\',
\'Add_Date\' => \'1999-04-28\',
\'Mod_Date\' => \'2002-07-16\',
\'Description\' => \'Swangard Stadium, Burnaby, BC, Canada.
edited description.\',
\'Contact_Name\' => \'test\',
\'Contact_Email\' => \'test@email.com\',
\'Hits\' => \'161\',
\'isNew\' => \'No\',
\'isChanged\' => \'No\',
\'isPopular\' => \'No\',
\'isValidated\' => \'Yes\',
\'Rating\' => \'5.85\',
\'Votes\' => \'26\',
\'Status\' => \'200\',
\'Date_Checked\' => \'2002-04-11 02:04:18\',
\'Priority\' => \'0\',
\'isFeatured\' => \'0\',
\'DeadLink\' => \'0\',
\'CatLinks.CategoryID\' => [
\'14\',
],
\'do\' => \'modify\',
\'action\' => \'modify\',
\'link_id\' => \'753\',
\'modify\' => \'Modify Resource\',
\'REQUEST_METHOD\' => \'POST\',
};

Maybe that will provide some clues as to what's going on?

As an aside, it's not for me to tell Gossamer Threads how to run their business -- I certainly wouldn't want people telling me how to run mine -- but it seems quite unprofessional to let support issues go unanswered for a month with no mention that I can find anywhere of why. From what I can see, only Gossamer Mail is getting any staff attention over the past 3 weeks. A simple Announcements post of when staff is out or unavailable would at least give me an idea if I'm wasting my time waiting for a reply... I'm sure other Gossamer Threads customers feel the same.

Dan
Quote Reply
Also, looking at the source code of the admin validation page, everything corresponding to $link->{ID}, $link->{URL}, etc. in Tools.pm's validate_changes{} is blank.

Dan
Quote Reply
[bump]

Dan
Quote Reply
Dan,

I'm testing an installation of LinksSQL2.1.1 and have a very similar problem. I login as another user, add a link and then through Admin validate this link.

I then modify this link and as you describe I also get the correct before/after email sent to admin. When I go to the admin I only see the following options in the "Quick Links" menu; Build All, Validate Links, Validate Reviews. Surely I should see a link awaiting me to confirm the update?

When I use the category browser, I goto the correct category and the link listing allows me to update it.

I've got Setup/User Options user_direct_mod set to No, so I don't know where to go next?

Have you worked out what is going on, or is my installation working correctly?
Quote Reply
Re: [Piers1] link modifications not showing up in admin form In reply to
Quote:
When I go to the admin I only see the following options in the "Quick Links" menu; Build All, Validate Links, Validate Reviews. Surely I should see a link awaiting me to confirm the update?

Did you actually click on the Validate option and see a blank form or is the link simply not showing up? I can't quite tell if you're describing the same problem I've got.

I went back and forth with Jack at G-T 2 weeks ago via email, but nothing was determined at the time and I haven't gotten an update since...

Dan
Quote Reply
When I click on the "Validate Links" I get a form saying:

"Validate Records

This allows you to validate links that users have suggested.

There are 0 links waiting to be validated."

Ho hum,
Piers

Quote Reply
Re: [Piers1] link modifications not showing up in admin form In reply to
I think that's because you're clicking on Validate Links instead of Validate Changes (they were one in the same in v1.x). What you're getting would indicate there are simply no new link submissions to validate, which is different than what I was describing above.

Dan
Quote Reply
Hi Dan,

I've got the same problem:

Links 2.11, PHP-Templates. In Admin-CP in Database/Validate Changes I only get an empty form and the following Error:

Your link:

Unknown Tag: 'URL'

that was submitted on Unknown Tag: 'Add_Date' has been rejected
for one of the following reasons:

Hope, someone can help out with a solution Blush

Thomas
Quote Reply
Re: [Tombom] link modifications not showing up in admin form In reply to
That indeed sounds like the same problem. I'm relieved to know it's not something I did, because I've racked my brains trying to think what I could have done that would affect such a thing, but I hate to see other users similarly handicapped by this apparent bug which hasn't even gotten a direct response from G-T for going on 2 months now...

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: Problem Solved! In reply to
Adrian just emailed me, and the problem has been solved. Turns out it was specific to the PHP front end, which could explain why not many people had encountered it. I'm not sure if he'll be posting a bug fix at some point, but here's the changes I was sent:

Modify.inc.php
==============================

line 312:

< $DB->update("${PREFIX}Changes", array('Username' => $new['LinkOwner'], 'ChgRequest' => addslashes(perl_dump_in($save))), array('LinkID' => $new['ID']));
---
> $DB->update("${PREFIX}Changes", array('Username' => $new['LinkOwner'], 'ChgRequest' => perl_dump_in($save)), array('LinkID' => $new['ID']));

line 315:

< $DB->insert("${PREFIX}Changes", array('LinkID' => $new['ID'], 'Username' => $new['LinkOwner'], 'ChgRequest' => addslashes(perl_dump_in($save))));
---
> $DB->insert("${PREFIX}Changes", array('LinkID' => $new['ID'], 'Username' => $new['LinkOwner'], 'ChgRequest' => perl_dump_in $save)));

line 347:

< $output .= " '$v',\n";
---
> $output .= " '" . addslashes($v) . "',\n";

line 352:

< $output .= "'$val',\n";
---
> $output .= "'" . addslashes $val) . "',\n";

==============================

where the < line represents what it was originally and the > line represents what it should be changed to (my line numbers were slightly different than those above).

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: [Dan Kaplan] Problem Solved! In reply to
Hi Dan

I can't get it to work, maybe too stupid :-((

It's showing following errors:

Parse error: parse error, expecting `')'' in /homepages/42/d40925292/htdocs/so/portal/cgi/admin/Links/PHP/Modify.inc.php on line 312

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: _category_list() in /homepages/42/d40925292/htdocs/so/portal/cgi/admin/Links/PHP/Modify.inc.php on line 138

Maybe you could send me your working Modify.inc.php, so I don't have to make the changes to links by hand anymore. I would really appreciate this :-)

Thomas

t.maestle@sonderpaed.de

Quote Reply
Re: [Thomas1968] Problem Solved! In reply to
My files are rather heavily modified, so that wouldn't work too well for you... The Fatal error is most likely due to the Parse error causing the script to stop executing, thus not loading a necessary file/function. Without seeing what you've got on line 312, that's about all the help I can offer...

Dan
Quote Reply
Please post your copy of modify.pm, and we could have a look to see if there are any obviouse syntax errors Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi Thomas,

Can you send a message to support-lsql@gossamer-threads.com with access to update your Modify.inc.php file and we'll update it for you.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Problem Solved! In reply to
Thank you very much, all of you, for your help!!! Mail is on the way...

Greetings

Thomas