Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

keywords to detail pages

Quote Reply
keywords to detail pages
Okay, now that I am adding ads to my detail pages, how to get keywords, preferably specific keywords on each detail page. Now the ads are all the same regardless of the type of category - not so good. I know there are some set ups where the user is asked to add their own keywords when adding links and I'm thinking that would be another column and then tags added in the header, but we have over 12000 links and I can't do each one manually - another way? Any suggestions?

Could I pull my category keywords to appear in the detail page also if page is in that particualr category - if so how to do this?

Thanks!
M
Quote Reply
Re: [SSmeredith] keywords to detail pages In reply to
How many categories?
Are 5-20 categories getting 90% opf the traffic?

One solution we use:

Add in fields to the category database with the add info. (image url, link text, alt text, width, height, etc) ad1_xxx, ad2_xxx, ad3_xxx, ad4_xxx)
you can do 468x60, or 3-4 120x60's, etc.

General categories get a random SET of ads.
Top categories get custom sets.

Do a database lookup from the detail page to the category, of course!

Last edited by:

webslicer: Feb 6, 2004, 9:14 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [webslicer] keywords to detail pages In reply to
Hi There-

In Reply To:

Do a database lookup from the detail page to the category, of course!

The way to write the lookup tags you referenced above are what I'm looking for. Actually, the ads are served from a 3rd party javascript and they spider the page to get the keywords for targeting so I don't have to worry about any ad configuration.
Quote Reply
Re: [SSmeredith] keywords to detail pages In reply to
>> Could I pull my category keywords to appear in the detail page also if page
>> is in that particualr category - if so how to do this?

The short, easy answer? No.

The problem with how Links SQL works, (to allow pages to be in multiple categories) is that without a bit of customization, your detail page has no idea what category it's in. (Take a look at the header bar).

When a detail page is displayed, all that's passed in is the LinkID as ID=. There is no way for the page to know what category it's in.

To display category keywords, you'd want to pass in a CategoryID value, and look up the category record, and yank the keywords from that, before displaying the page. While it would be "cheaper" to pull the category keywords first, you don't want to really pass them with each link -- as disclosing your keywords in that fashion helps raiders pluck your traffic.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] keywords to detail pages In reply to
In Reply To:

The short, easy answer? No.
So the way would be to pass the category ID value with the link and then use tags in the detail template to have category keywords appear? How would I write this - if I'm understanding you right.