Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
jump.cgi
Hi all, I have a question...

I have some links that are no longer valid in my DB.. while I am weeding them out, I still have this problem. If I do an ps I get quite a few of these:

[jump.cgi <defunct>]
[jump.cgi <defunct>]
[jump.cgi <defunct>]
[jump.cgi <defunct>]
[jump.cgi <defunct>]

Anyone have a work around to keep this from happening?

Thanks,

Rob
Quote Reply
Re: [rmurdo] jump.cgi In reply to
Looks like your server. Some servers let their Perl processes die on their own (even when the go <DEFUNC>). Do these process not die on their own? The only way I've worked out how to clear a backlog of these processes, is to restart Apache (not sure if you access to do this).

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] jump.cgi In reply to
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, they do die. I've written a script to kill them once in a while as well.

I'd prefer they clean themselves up if at all possible.

Rob
Quote Reply
Re: [rmurdo] jump.cgi In reply to
Ok, no problem. As long as they die, its all ok :) Some servers seem to handle defunc processes ok ... but others (Plesk and Ensim seem to be a couple of these), seem to have problems with closing them down once they are finished :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] jump.cgi In reply to
I have noticed this for a while on my server. they will die by themselves shortly and seem to do no harm. This is true of search.cgi.