Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

google and page rank spamming

Quote Reply
google and page rank spamming
Some how I missed this little gem, until now. This problem caused Alex/GT to change how URL's are listed here in the forums, awhile back.

Google has taken a step to block comment/forum spam, by adding in a tag to generated html

rel="nofollow"

That you'd place in any <a href=http://yoursite.com rel="nofollow"> tag.

The googlebot will *NOT* rank any such links.

Check it out:

http://www.google.com/...ng-comment-spam.html

From google:

Quote:

If you're a blogger (or a blog reader), you're painfully familiar with people who try to raise their own websites' search engine rankings by submitting linked blog comments like "Visit my discount pharmaceuticals site." This is called comment spam, we don't like it either, and we've been testing a new tag that blocks it. From now on, when Google sees the attribute (rel="nofollow") on hyperlinks, those links won't get any credit when we rank websites in our search results. This isn't a negative vote for the site where the comment was posted; it's just a way to make sure that spammers get no benefit from abusing public areas like blog comments, trackbacks, and referrer lists.

Seems really simple to implement, and if Google is behind it, and their googlebots will ignore them, then it's a major step forward.

It's something that only the search engine itself could implement, and it seems easier, and more reliable than using redirected urls (eg: jump.cgi type linking) to hide links. It prevents any associated problems as well (eg: 302 redirects).

Apparantly it's for real, as blogging software has been incorporating it:
http://codex.wordpress.org/nofollow is one.

If google is ignoring them, then it does spammers no good to post in a rel="nofollow" zone.

While not of major use to most Links SQL systems, it would be a great feature to add into GForum.

If potentially garbage links are flagged with rel="nofollow" then google will have that much less work trying to figure out what to follow or not. Webmasters have control over what content gets positioning on their pages, and can link to "problem" sites without raising their visibility (a catch-22 of the whole system).

This is the part that applies to everyone :) If there are bad sites, you can post links/URL's and *NOT* be helping that site out, while still getting the word out.

Hopefully, the other x-bots will implement it as well.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] google and page rank spamming In reply to
This had/has been a Topic Of Discussion with respect to Google Answers on many forums. Incidentally, i have found many sites of signatures on this forum having no PR at all ... I wouldn't name the sites for obvious reasons ... and this has kept me from being attracted to the idea of putting up links in my signature

Thanks
HyTC
==================================
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] google and page rank spamming In reply to
Hi,

Quote:
Incidentally, i have found many sites of signatures on this forum having no PR at all ... I wouldn't name the sites for obvious reasons ... and this has kept me from being attracted to the idea of putting up links in my signature

The reason that is the case here, is because the direct links were removed due to spamming. Basically, if you are logged in.. then they show up as a normal URL. However, if you are only a guest (i.e spiders), then it will show up as an encoded URL, thus not giving PR. This was due to a large influx of PR spam here (even though some people still post it :/).

Hope that explains things a little :)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] google and page rank spamming In reply to
Not too sure when this was implemented ... but had been following this issue for almost a year (PR Vs Signtaure links) though this started appearing as topic of discussion on WPN (WebPro...) about two or three months back ... again not too sure on the specific dates (will have to dig out the archive of mails recd from them) but whatever, i personally see that (putting up signature links to boost PR) meeting out the right fate in the end.

Pugdog had indeed mentioned in detail and concluded that it's content that is the key and indeed i found that one of sites hosted on subdomain with us kicked up to PR2 just within a month of coming live ... so key is "Content"

Thanks

Thanks
HyTC
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] google and page rank spamming In reply to
Yeah. I'm 100% sure this is the case on this forum (as of Jun 8, 2004), as I just found the related thread regarding the URL format for non-logged in users :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] google and page rank spamming In reply to
Thanks for the news Cool

Looks like Yahoo and MSN are supporting the rel=nofollow attribute too.

Comedy Quotes - Glinks 3.3.0, PageBuilder, StaticURLtr, CAPTCHA, User_Edit_Profile