Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

glinks3 and bookmarks

Quote Reply
glinks3 and bookmarks
Bookmarks enabled.
Does a user get his own Default Public folder or it has to be created by the user?

Also wrt security in mind doesn't it become important not to display the username? This way we are giving one clue to the "notorious types" and it's just the password guess (not impossible if users et weak passwords) to login and play with that users updates of the link(s)

[EDIT]
Also for bookmark_preferences template there is:
<body id="bookmark_list">
Is that to be so or to be changed to bookmark_preferences ?
[/EDIT]

TIA

Thanks
HyTC
==================================
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: Mar 20, 2005, 9:09 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] glinks3 and bookmarks In reply to
In my opinion, users should not be able to bookmark their own links. Just a thought to increase the functional utility of Bookmarking feature.

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Does a user get his own Default Public folder or it has to be created by the user?
No, they have to create public folders themselves. Folders are private by default.

In Reply To:
Also for bookmark_preferences template there is:
<body id="bookmark_list">
Is that to be so or to be changed to bookmark_preferences ?
Yes, that should be bookmark_preferences. Will be fixed in tomorrow's rc.

In Reply To:
In my opinion, users should not be able to bookmark their own links. Just a thought to increase the functional utility of Bookmarking feature.
I don't see how that increases the functionality of the bookmark feature. What reason is there to not allow someone to bookmark their own links?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] glinks3 and bookmarks In reply to
Quote:
I don't see how that increases the functionality of the bookmark feature. What reason is there to not allow someone to bookmark their own links?

Every user just bookmark their own link writing (obviously) good comments about their the same and then put it up in "Public Folder"

Imagine the users list with each user just bookmarking their own link and nothing beyond that. I think in such a scenario the whole Bookmark feature loses it's bright color. I don't see why a user has to Bookmark his/her own link ... functional utility point of view. What purpose does it serve?

[EDIT]
With no restriction there, user has all the "Motivation" to bookmark their own link and put it up in Public Folders. This just allows them to uncontrollably advertise their own links to other users on their Bookmarks page.
[/EDIT]

Thanks
HyTC

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: Mar 21, 2005, 12:30 AM
Quote Reply
And what stops them from just sign up new accounts and bookmarking them that way? You're not going to stop these people from doing such things.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Oh i forgot to mention... the idea was from point of view that glinks3 is being used on a paid service. On a free service that sort of SPAM could be possible, but when it gets to a paid service, i believe users would refrain from doing that unless they have a fat wallet ;)

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
Or perhaps better still let that be an Admin option bookmark_owned_links (Yes/No) so that it keeps both class of Admins (usnig glinks3 as a Paid Service or a Free Service). I forsee problems if not today then perhaps when the "end_users" start abusing this feature and other "end_users" start complaining about the same ... it's always the end_users who make any business model a success or failure ... we as Admins just need enough flexibility on backend to so so.

Whether or not GT considers this a genuine concern is not within purview of Admin's of glinks3 installs. We can just put forward what we forsee from end users point of view and not as Our (Admins) point of view.

Thanks
HyTC