Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

detailed pages

Quote Reply
detailed pages
Hi,

I have a use for enabling detailed pages but I'm in a bit of a chicken and egg situation becuase this option assumes the user has a website to add in the first place, i.e they then can link to their url or I can set it to display the detailed page.

Is there a way that a user can register, but without a website, then add/build their detailed page as the link, not have it appended to be an option,

i.e enable people without sites to list their services on a predefined template.

Hope this makes

cheers
Kevin

Cheers
KevM
Quote Reply
Re: [KevM] detailed pages In reply to
I have both direct links to URL for basic listings and detailed pages for premium listings.

In link.html put a tag that shows URL <%if URL ne to http://%><%URL%><%else%><%Detailed_URL%><%endif%> otherwise show detailed page link.

If you don't want to build the detailed pages in case the search engines pick them up, then use the Build Detailed plugin and amend it to suit the same criteria
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] detailed pages In reply to
Thanks Alba,

I am still a bit confused about the key problem, how does someone get to detailed page if they have no URL to apply in the first place.

I am finding this difficult.

Cheers

Cheers
KevM
Quote Reply
In the database menu for the Links properties, you can turn off the requirement.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
<%detailed_url%> will take them there providing you say Yes to Build Detailed pages in setup.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] detailed pages In reply to
Hi again,

I hate to say this but I am still missing something here, detailed is not something I have used and my interpretation of the documentation isn't falling into place.

For example: If I have 2 users who regsiter to add a site, one has a site and adds their link as normal (they may or may not decide to add detailed page)

but the other does not have a site but wants to add a link.

My confusion is how can the second person cannot add a link from build detailed which in effect gives them a site and a url as they won't know what their link url is so therefore how can they add it.

Surely the detailed page they create will not have a 'parent' or anything to relate the two so they cannot submit their link/detailed page for inclusion.

does this make sense?

... or does it work differently to this.

many thanks
Kevin

Cheers
KevM