Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

db_referers - some users can't submit?

Quote Reply
db_referers - some users can't submit?
Hi,

I've recently relaunched Qango with LSQL 2.1.1 after my server HD failed and took four years work with it Frown (my backups were also corrupt so I've had to start from scratch!).

I've managed to re-mod it and put all my personal tweaks in place, but I've had a couple of emails from people who haven't been able to submit their site.

The error they get is "Sorry, this site does not accept site suggestions from ''", which is my ADD_BADREFER global. The error doesn't put anything in the '%s' part though, and I assumed it would give a domain or IP address or something to explain why they can't add a site?

I have the following in my db_referers 'qango.com,www.qango.com' which should be the only place people 'add' from.

Any idea why a couple of people have got this error?

I'd like to know so I can advise them on how to correctly suggest their sites - I don't want to put people off :)

All the best
Shaun
Quote Reply
Re: [qango] db_referers - some users can't submit? In reply to
Can anyone tell me when ADD_BADREFER is called into action?

Is it when someone tries to submit 'off-site' or 'off-domain'?

All the best
Shaun

Last edited by:

qango: Sep 18, 2002, 3:57 AM
Quote Reply
Its when someone trys to add a domain (or even rate?) a site, when they are refered from a bad domain, set in 'db_referers'. See this in /admin/Links/Users/Add.pm;

Code:
# Check the referer.
if (@{$CFG->{db_referers}}) {
my $found = 0;
if ($ENV{'HTTP_REFERER'}) {
foreach (@{$CFG->{db_referers}}) { $ENV{'HTTP_REFERER'} =~ /\Q$_\E/i and $found++ and last; }
}
if (! $found) {
$category = _category_list();
return { error => Links::language('ADD_BADREFER', $ENV{'HTTP_REFERER'}), Category => $category };
}
}

Hope that helps.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] db_referers - some users can't submit? In reply to
I thought it worked that way. I emailed both the people who got this error and they said they'd visited qango.com to submit their sites, so I was just trying to work out why they'd got the error in the first place?

Would this error appear if LSQL couldn't work out what IP address the visitor had?

I'm getting plenty of submissions so I think its working normally for most everyone, but I assumed the error should report something in '%s', such as the bad domain?

Not really an important issue I just wanted to make sure everything was working okay Smile

Thanks
Shaun
Quote Reply
Hi,

You may want to ask them what browser they are using. They may be using a browser that doesn't pass in the referer properly.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] db_referers - some users can't submit? In reply to
Alex,

Thanks, I'll mention that if I get any more queries like this.

I didn't think it was a major problem, and at least now I can give them an idea of why it happens and advise them to try again with a different browser Smile

All the best
Shaun
Quote Reply
Hi Shaun,

I have exactly the same problem !!! A lot of users mail me that they get this error message and that they couldnīt add a link.

It seams not to be a browser issue - I asked them and they use the newest IE 6.x

I have found a thread here in the forum and I asked myself if the users uses a firewall ?

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=215639

Would be nice if someone can help....

Regards

Addy
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Hi,

I've recently relaunched Qango with LSQL 2.1.1 after my server HD failed and took four years work with it Frown (my backups were also corrupt so I've had to start from scratch!).

I've managed to re-mod it and put all my personal tweaks in place, but I've had a couple of emails from people who haven't been able to submit their site.

The error they get is "Sorry, this site does not accept site suggestions from ''", which is my ADD_BADREFER global. The error doesn't put anything in the '%s' part though, and I assumed it would give a domain or IP address or something to explain why they can't add a site?

I have the following in my db_referers 'qango.com,www.qango.com' which should be the only place people 'add' from.

Any idea why a couple of people have got this error?

I'd like to know so I can advise them on how to correctly suggest their sites - I don't want to put people off :)

All the best
Shaun

Hello,

It is for information.

I have a user who has the problem.

Navigator : AWeb 3.4

Mick