Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

customising LinksSql

Quote Reply
customising LinksSql
this question has probably been asked before

What is the best way to customise LinksSql with regard to link information:

eg: standard setup links info = Title + Description + category

If a directory structure is desired to incorporate Country / Region / Town

is it better to customise so that the "add site" (links table) includes "Country / Region / Town" as 3 new field to be completed by a user when adding sites

or

by using "Country / Region / Town" as category / subcategory / subcategory

my thoughts are towards the search engine optimisation aspect with regard to Google's deminishing PR for subdirectories of the main site / domain

eg: catgory is one folder removed from main site / subcategory is 2 folders removed from main site

any thoughts from experienced users of LinksSql
Colin Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: [colintho] customising LinksSql In reply to
Personally, it may be a good idea to use both. That way, users can either view all sites in a certain area, or sites that cover the whole country/world. Would also be better for google rankings.

Hope I made myself clear Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
I think it is good for your PageRank on Google if the search terms are in the URL, so I would tend towards the second solution. I personally also have the detailed pages set up with very descriptive URL's, such as

http://www.iyengar-yoga.com/...te_of_New_York_L119/

and from what I can tell, google likes them. Have a look at the google search for iyengar yoga new york

For information on how to set up the detailed pages that way:
http://gossamer-threads.com/...rum.cgi?post=216197;

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] customising LinksSql In reply to
thanks

I just noticed that the title tags for my category / subcats read like this

<title>ChoiceX: Regional/Cornwall - see this</title>

Regional/Cornwall is not goog for searcg engines (is this the default setup for LinksSql?)

will the previous info on "detailed" pages rewrite url fix this?
Colin Thompson
Quote Reply
The real solution would be to use a kind of "category shortcut" solution. This feature may be solved as plugin.
Using the plugin, a category like "Countries" could be selected as "category shortcut". So if under another category like "Services" a category is created, like "Shortcut1", which is marked as "category shortcut", and linked to "Countries", then "Shortcut1" will replaced by the "Countries" category name & other directories, like "England", "USA", etc.
This way, the problem would be solved.

Of course this idea would need more careful analyse, but at the first thought, it seems a working idea.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] customising LinksSql In reply to
I just setup a directory of over 100,000 websites. Data being imported. I have 30,000 categories and sub categories already and they are nothing but the US states as categories and Cities as sub categories. The domain I am using is already PE5, let's see what we get the full wbesite indexed and it could chalk my plan out. :-)
>> Nakul Goyal (SEO, Link Building Expert)
Web Site Promotion
Tips 'n' Tricks
SEO News

Quote Reply
Re: [nakulgoyal] customising LinksSql In reply to
Yeah, I see your problem.

I think "category shortcut" solution would really simplify several tasks.
However I didn't manage to analyze that problem in details, and as far as I know there is still no solution for this.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...

Last edited by:

webmaster33: Jan 26, 2004, 5:45 PM