Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

changing styles and templates

Quote Reply
changing styles and templates
I ahve a question that perhaps has a simple answer. I am wodering about creating a new style or design for our links directory and having the oportunity to test it and check it before it goes LIVE. In other words, lets say we have a LSQl 2.10 site running, and in a year, we want to change the style. It could be a bit cumbersome to simply edit the templates and not see how the information flows onto the pages. I ahve found that there is a lot of trial and error as I am starting up this process (I am still working on things a year later!) I am thinking towards the future when I'm going to want to redesign and not have any interuption of service for my members. I use .html pages and build. No dynamic pages.

Is there a way to have another style set build while still having the main set live, and I can go see the new template set?

In the same vein: is it possible to "hold" certain links? Can a link be unvalidated?

I hope these questions make sense.
Quote Reply
Re: [Evoir] changing styles and templates In reply to
Just view the templates dynamically using the t=<template_name> part in the url. When you're satisfied with it there, then you can try building it. It essentially should be the same thing.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [Evoir] changing styles and templates In reply to
Hi,

Adrian hinted towards the answer. Basically develop your templates in a new directory, and then you can preview your work by going to page.cgi?t=new where new == the name of the directory.

You can modify a link and set isValidated to No, and it will effectively be hidden.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.