Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

build stops after different times

Quote Reply
build stops after different times
Hi there,

When I run build all, sometimes it builds all the way and sometimes it doesn't. I've tried the build_staggered and I have the same problem there, so that's not a solution because it just hangs and doesn't automatically continue.

I don't know how to begin troubleshooting this problem. The wierd thing is that the build actually completes, but the status stops showing up after as few as 1 kb and sometimes after as much as 27 or 28kb.

what could cause the page to stop showing me where it's in the build process even though the building continues and completes? Could this be the result of a missed hop, or other bad transmission back to my location? Every traceroute and ping comes back fine. Any other reason why this would be happening?

peace.

Kyle
Quote Reply
Re: [klangan] build stops after different times In reply to
How many links do you have on each page?

25, 50 or more?

Michael

--
Michael Skaide

http://www.cycle24.de

Quote Reply
Re: [Michael Skaide] build stops after different times In reply to
Good idea Michael, only I do get the same problem with 25, 10 or 5 links, links compressed on/off - Tried it under speedy.cgi and regular perl - it just keeps stopping in different places when building.

I had this same site on a different server and never had this problem, so it seems that there must be some setting a server has that could cause this.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what that or those settings might be?

thanks for any suggestions

Quote Reply
I had problems like this when I used Links 2.0 at a virtual-hosting-server once I had many records (and many fields in each record). I reduced the records on each page from 50 to 25, than it works.

Now I have a dedicated server without any problems in this direction.

Michael

--
Michael Skaide

http://www.cycle24.de

Quote Reply
Re: [Michael Skaide] build stops after different times In reply to
Thanks for you thoughts Michael,

This is a dedicated server, which makes me wonder if there's some setting that's responsible for this that I can tell the administrator to adjust.

thanks again for you thoughts.

peace.

Kyle
Quote Reply
Hi,

Does it happen both from the web and from shell, or only from the web?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] build stops after different times In reply to
It doesn't seem to be happening from telnet. Just the web interface.

I won't be the one running this once it's installed on this new dedicated server though, so I need to do whatever I can to get it working from the web.

Nothing in my browser has changed and indeed the server where the site is currently located runs fine, but it's on the new dedicated server that I'm encountering this problem.

the dedicated server is a PIII 933MHz, 512MB RAM system. So it doesn't seem that the system should be a problem.

peace.

Kyle
Quote Reply
Hi,

May want to ask your ISP if Apache is configured with a low TimeOut setting, or if there is a wrapper to limit process size on cgi scripts.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi Alex,

Here is there response:
------------------------------------------------------------
Timeout 300
KeepAlive On
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
KeepAliveTimeout 15
MinSpareServers 5
MaxSpareServers 10
StartServers 5
MaxClients 150

We can put whichever values you need. Also there are a few bandwidth throttling modules that allow you regulate sessions if that is what your after, just specify which one(s) you need.
------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
TimeOut 300 means a process can only take 5 minutes at most. May want to increase that.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Alex, this problem is happening after seconds. Sometimes 2 seconds and 1kb and sometimes 30 seconds and 26kb and everywhere in between. The entire process has never taken more than 58 seconds.

could it be something else?

peace.

Kyle

Any other ideas.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Hmm, can you ask your ISP if they have anything to handle CGI scripts (a wrapper, or a module to monitor cgi scripts, or memory limits on the size of a cgi/apache)? If it's stopping randomly like that and runs fine from shell, it's almost always the server killing it for some reason.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.