Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

advise on upgrade required

Quote Reply
advise on upgrade required
hello!

I'm currently running a very old version of LinkSQL and am upgarding to version 2.2.0.

With the old version I've been using the password mod (remember that one!?), where each link has a password associated with it, and users just need to enter the link id and link password to make modifications to the link information.

What I want to do now is move everything over the new user based system, and here's where I need some advice. I don't have all the information required to fill the fields so I'm having to do some jiggling around.

This is my situation...

- the links are not currently owned by users
- every link has a 'contact email' and contact name
- a number of links have the same contact email
- all links have different passwords (some may be the same, but dif. link id)

Possible Solution:

- contact email becomes the users username
- all links with contact name = username become owned by the user
- a new random password is generated for every user
- all users are emailed with new login details

I think this is the best way to go about it - can anyone suggest a better alternative?

r

Last edited by:

ryel01: May 10, 2004, 3:50 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [ryel01] advise on upgrade required In reply to
I would possibly do it a different way, if you can do a little coding.

I'd set the "LinkOwner" to either Admin, or to a dummy user.

When a user tries to modify a link, they are prompted to login or create a new user name. Once they do, if they try to modify a link that is owned by the dummy user or Admin, if they know the password (or can be mailed it) they can claim that link, and the LinkOwner is set to Username.

The upgrade will probably be better that way, without old email addresses clogging things up.

It would be a form of merging the claim link idea with the existing password on the link.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.