Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

a solution protecting links is needed?

Quote Reply
a solution protecting links is needed?
Hello, I looked every where but did not find a solution to my problem ,I hope someone can help me : I'm using Links SQL v2.1.1 for running a huge software links library ,my problem is that I need to fully protect my software links from others. as an example,if any of my site visitors copy a link he will only get: http://www.mysite.com/cgi-bin/files/jump.cgi?ID=16 which is good,but if you open the link in a new window and hit stop so fast it will show the real software link: http://www.mycustomerssites.com/CustomerSoftware.zip I want any reliable solution to protect my links as following: 1- prevent others from knowing the real links of any of my software links? 2-prevent others from using LinksSQL link : http://www.mysite.com/cgi-bin/files/jump.cgi?ID=16 from there sites. Can this be done ! and how? Thank you very much,
Quote Reply
Re: [nas9] a solution protecting links is needed? In reply to
You can set your referrers to only allow clicks from your site, but that can be tricked.

You can use the "file" field, and have links serve up the file via jump.cgi, which can be a URL outside the web tree, so you must go through jump.cgi to get the file.

You can modify jump.cgi so it requires your user to log on first. That will limit robots.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Copying links is much easier than you describe... Just look at the browser status bar when hovering the mouse over a link or look at the page's source code.

An easy and somewhat rewardingly mischeivous solution is to change the name of your jump.cgi file from time to time. From time to time, I find people copying entire categories of my links over to their site to make it look like they have done lots of work setting up things (they probably also like knowing I'll do the work for them keeping those links updated). If I'm in the mood, I'll point out this is a most unwelcomed act and quite a bandwidth violation. If I'm not in the mood, which I wasn't recently when finding several such sites, I simply changed jump.cgi to something else and reflected it in my templates. Fun times for the offending web master when they realize their link pages are a mess...

Of course, they can simply update their pirated pages to the new location, but hopefully they'll get the idea.

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] a solution protecting links is needed? In reply to
Hello pugdog,

I'll go for solution number 2 the "file" field Smile

But how can I do it?

Please provide the way to do so.

Thank you very much for your help.
Quote Reply
Hi,

The first place to start would be the Links User Manual, which has some help on how to set up, and use the file upload field.

See if that answers your questions, first.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.