Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Writing HASH to a Table

Quote Reply
Writing HASH to a Table
Hi:

I am at wits end....maybe because it's late, maybe because I have a three month old... BUT..

I have created a new table. Fine. I created a .def file for it, fine. I am trying to connect and write to it, and it is not working!

I am connecting using this command:
my $review_db = $DB->table('Review');

That seems to work. But I cannot WRITE to the table "Review". I am using:

$review_db->add ( { Link_ID => $id, Title => $title, Review => $review, User => $username, Post_Date => $today } );

and that did not work. I set up each field like this:

$rec->{Link_ID} = $id;

and then tried

$review_db->insert ($rec);

and that did not work. I am missing something really stupid here, I know it... but what? The syntax is working... I am getting the results page I want, but the data is not being written to "Review".

dave

Quote Reply
Re: Writing HASH to a Table In reply to
Try using:

Code:

$review_db->add ($IN);

Also, I would recommend not using Username as the record owner field...I would recommend using UserID from the Users table...using a volatile/evolving field like Username will only pose problems in the future if you allow your users to edit their username...

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Did you check the HELP docs? Under Table, there is a whole list of the commands, and how to use them.

PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ:http://LinkSQL.com/FAQ
Forum:http://LinkSQL.com/forum
Quote Reply
Eliot/Pugdog:

Thanks so much for getting me going- I appreciate it. I am trying to get a bare-bones review thing going... (that was obvious, wasn't it?) Anyway, I will forward my work to you Pugdog for your project- I am sure you will improve it a LOT!

Eliot- good point, I will get that changed right away!

Thanks!

Dave

Quote Reply
Hi,

Make sure to do $review_db->add ( { ... } ) or die "Can't add: $GT::SQL::error";

As add won't fatal if there is a problem, you need to catch the error.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Alex:

Thanks for the advice. I am learning a LOT doing this! It is kinda slow going, but I am getting there!

Dave