Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Windows NT
Dear forum:

I believe I've found posts that indicate that Links SQL can be installed on a Windows NT server.

Can anyone comfirm that this is correct?

Thanks, April
A. Lougheed
IndyLinks.com
webmaster@indylinks.com
Quote Reply
Re: [aprillougheed] Windows NT In reply to
Yes it can.

I have 3 versions and a forum running on my NT boxes.

And well I might add. Very stable.
Quote Reply
Re: [aprillougheed] Windows NT In reply to
Quote:
I believe I've found posts that indicate that Links SQL can be installed on a Windows NT server.

Can anyone comfirm that this is correct?

It is rumored to be correct ;) But why anyone would want to do it is beyond me <G>

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Windows NT In reply to
Hey now!Wink Be nice.

Some of us are alergic to penguins you know. Blush
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Windows NT In reply to
Quote:
I have 3 versions and a forum running on my NT boxes.

And well I might add. Very stable.

Links or NT?? <G>

Links is stable. My stories about Windows/NT/etc. are almost too painful to recount.

I say a prayer each time I use one of my Windows systems that it survives the next key press, and that one day, it will turn into a Unix system (I keep whispering those thoughts into the microphones of my Unix boxes....). I had to reboot my Me system 3 times this morning, just running basic editor and web searches (and it's not even 11am). I'm actually about ready to kill the little monster.

I can go 3-10 months between reboots of my Unix machines, and maybe longer. I am lucky to get 3-10 hours between reboots of my Windows machines. Granted, NT lasts a bit longer, maybe a week, if I was lucky, and if I did nothing but set up my standard running "system processes" ie: BBS or Webserver.

Painfully, I was running OS/2 at the same time I first tried NT, and while my OS/2 2.0 system ran flawlessly, (10 DOS windows on a 386) the NT 3.51 kept having problems -- such as unloading the communications subsystem because I "wasn't using it" (I was running a BBS!), and killing off my 16-bit sub system in the first 60-120 minutes. The BBS software I was using chose to migrate from DOS to NT, and my OS/2-DOS system kept running (and still runs if I ask it to) while the NT system eventually caused me to shut down the BBS, and my one really lucritive operation.

My feelings are -- If you have a choice, any choice at all, pick UNIX over Windows-Anything.

Of course, those are my feelings, and yours obviously differ ;)

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
I had a simular situation but with a penguin box rather than NT.

My oldest server is NT4 and it has been restarted 1 time in the last 14 months and that was to do an upgrade. Other than that exery server I put online is NT.

It is all a matter of personal choice and experiences that we have had that shape that choice.

While I have no love for Microsoft products the darker choice (to me) is the bird.

I know that this is not a popular choice on this forum but that's cool.

LinksSQL, the GT Forum and all associated plugins and customization done by GT and others has been flawless for me in performance. Extremely stable, easy to work with and I am VERY happy with the support.

GT is a rock on NT as well as the penguin. And GT knows how to address both very well. Cool
Quote Reply
Out of curiousity, I went looking for that BBS software... and found the company sold it off a couple of years ago to a 3rd party author, and sort of disappeared.

I'll take a Penguin over the Borg any day :)

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
HAHAHA

I love it..."The Borg". That is so appropriate. Either that or the little green guys from Buzz Lightyear! You know, one mind.Cool

But if Sun has its way we will all be on one big super computer as well with all of our appliances and dog collars tied in with Blue Tooth (or is that Big Brother)! So what is worse, the sum of the parts (MS) or being parts of the sum (Sun). It's all relative and way out of our reach.

So I am just going to enjoy the ride.
Quote Reply
Hi Brian

I run both windows and unix boxes.

The memory leakage is so bad on windows we have to reboot every 5 days.

The unix boxes can last over 6 months.

Dregs2

ps. any ideas how to stop the memory leakage.Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [dregs2] Windows NT In reply to
I did have an issue of memory regression awhile ago (long time).

If I remember correctly it had something to do with my statistics program over taxing it (I am a data hogBlush) and IIS.

We reset the logging, reduced the amount of data dragged into the statistics side and patched the IIS. Since then the box has not been restarted. I believe that this was over 8 months ago. And it currently is running at about 4 to 6 percent CPU usage. The NT box I am talking about is loaded with domains, software, stats, mail, you name it.

That is highly unusual for an NT box needing to be restarted every 5 hours. And I would be all over my hardware people if that were the case here.

I have also heard that some programs that are not well written can cause leaks in resources. I have stuck with only the best software I could muster on our servers because of this.

I don't know if this helps you any but I will say that your situation is alarming and would be a total pain in the neck if you could not get it resolved. I feel for you on that one. BIG TIME!
Quote Reply
I hadn't thought of the logging and stats. I'm running LiveStats.

After bootup, win2000,IIS,sqlserver 7.0, I only have 90Mb(256mb) left.

After a couple of days running I have less than 5Mb available.

Something isn't releasing the memory back.Mad

Dregs2
Quote Reply
Live Stats is the one.

Cut your usage down some on it and get rid of older data.

With SQL 7 and 2000 512 would be a good idea.

Are you running any other resident programs from bootup?
Quote Reply
Doh!!!Crazy

I have had live stats running since April 2001 and not looked at it.(bet the logs are big)

Also I remember changing the defaults to maxinium refresh to impress the boss.Unsure

When I get into work tomorrow I'll change some things.Sly

Dregs2

ps. Told the boss about the ram, cheapskate!!
Quote Reply
If you went to the max on Live Stats you WILL have big logs.

I know from experience.

I also remember that if you used my logs at a high level on SQL7 that it clogged up the pipes a bit as well.

Good luck!