Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Win2K/MS-SQL -> Linux/MySQL migration

Quote Reply
Win2K/MS-SQL -> Linux/MySQL migration
Hi there,

I'm currently attempting to migrate a LinksSQL database from 2.1.0, running on a Win2000 server and MS-SQL database, to a Linux (Apache) server and MySQL and am having all sorts of problems.

Now to complicate matters I don't have a copy of 2.1.0 to be able to do a straight install, so I've had the joy of attempting to install 2.1.1 and replace the database -- no joy. From what I can see, there are actually slight changes in the structure of the different versions of the DB schema...

So another option was to edit the original files to work with the new database and on linux, which involves changing a hellofalot of hard coded paths that the setup program puts in, and it's still having problems (for "problems" it doesn't seem to like displaying any categories and has problems browsing anything in general)...

Can anyone suggest a nice easy way to go about the migration that doesn't require changing loads of path variables etc?

Thanks,

Tim.
Quote Reply
Re: [tjblair] Win2K/MS-SQL -> Linux/MySQL migration In reply to
Hi,

Are you using File Upload ability? Have you customized the forms? If the answer to both is no, then your best bet is to:

1. Install Links SQL 2.1.1 onto the Linux machine.
2. Create a backup file from your 2.1.0 installation (Database->Import/Export).
3. Restore the backup file from the Linux machine.
4. Copy over all your templates from Windows to Linux.

And that should be it!

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Win2K/MS-SQL -> Linux/MySQL migration In reply to
Hiya,

Had a bit of a fiddle as it appears there's an extra field in the 2.1.0 "Links" table (Recommended) but it's all sorted now. I think it was definately just a case of staring at the same thing for so long that nothing was actually making sense! A night's sleep and it all works fine... :)

Cheers for the suggestion.

Tim.
Quote Reply
Re: [tjblair] Win2K/MS-SQL -> Linux/MySQL migration In reply to
Good to hear. By the way, the Recommended Column is not part of Links SQL, and sounds like it came from the RecommendIt plugin.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.