Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

What has happened? vi.recover ? and database disappeared?

Quote Reply
What has happened? vi.recover ? and database disappeared?
hi Everyone

I used the search engine, driven by Links SQL, at my site and got this message

----------
A fatal error has occured:

Unable to query database: Could not connect to database. Reason: Unknown database 'the3gportal'

Please enable debugging in setup for more details.
------------

Errr?

I went to admin to try and re-build and got this message
-------

Building Category pages ...

A fatal error has occured:

Can't call method "prepare" without a package or object reference at /home/the3gportal.com/www/cgi-bin/admin/GT/SQL/Driver/MYSQL.pm line 36.

Please enable debugging in setup for more details.

Can't call method "prepare" without a package or object reference at /home/the3gportal.com/www/cgi-bin/admin/GT/SQL/Driver/MYSQL.pm line 36.

----

I went to look for my database in the SQL List and saw this but not my database

-----------
vi.recover

----------

I have no idea how this happened, even less to know how to recover.

Any suggestions with regards both points. Thanks!

Steve
the3Gportal.com
Quote Reply
Re: [cuppa] What has happened? vi.recover ? and database disappeared? In reply to
Looks like your database has been deleted, or your user permissions have been changed Frown

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] What has happened? vi.recover ? and database disappeared? In reply to
Thanks for the previous post - the database isn't deleted and the news is GOOD. Nothing to do with LINKS SQL. The hosting company said they had restarted mysqld. And that fixed it it. Boy was I feeling suicidal!

I must ask them what restarting mysqld means. And why did it need re-starting? Anyone want to give me an idea about what they did?

Thanks

Steve Sly
the3Gportal.com
Quote Reply
Re: [cuppa] What has happened? vi.recover ? and database disappeared? In reply to
mysqld is the MySQL server basically. It is what all the serving to the websites is done via. If that crashes, then weird stuff heppens to your site. Restarting it can also help to unclog 'unclosed' MySQL connections (which unfortunatly a lot of people still seem to do...Frown).

Well, I think/hope I'm right!

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi,

Most likely MySQL died, and somebody manually started it up incorrectly, so that it's database directory was pointing to the wrong area (it could not longer find all the databases). To fix, they just started it up properly.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
mysqld is the mysql daemon.

There are a few reasons for needing to restart the daemon..it's nothing to worry about (unless they are restarting a lot)
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] What has happened? vi.recover ? and database disappeared? In reply to
Thanks for the all the information, I understand better what happened. It was the first time in 2 years of being with this hosting company it has happened. They have been forgiven :-)

Cheers
Steve
the3Gportal.com