Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

What Actions Could Change ID Number?

Quote Reply
What Actions Could Change ID Number?
I've just realised that I've come to rely a lot on linking from other sites direct to detailed pages (like Detailed/999.html).

Is there anything I could do during maintenance or by accident that would result (disasterously) in these ID numbers changing?
Quote Reply
Re: [CrazyGuy] What Actions Could Change ID Number? In reply to
Short of going into Setup > SQL Server > Recreate Tables (wipes all old data) ... then no, I don't think you have anything to worry about :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] What Actions Could Change ID Number? In reply to
Thanks - that sounds promising.

Not that I'm doubting you, but I do want to be very sure ...

Do I take it then that the ID of a record remains with it no matter what happens, and will continue to increment "ad infinitum" ? For example - if I delete a record (ID 500 of 1000 in the database say), that ID will never be used again no matter what happens?
Quote Reply
Re: [CrazyGuy] What Actions Could Change ID Number? In reply to
There is no ID reusage.
Once you delete record ID 489, then the record with ID 489 will be not used anymore. Add will use the last ID+1. Since SQL uses an autoincrement pointer, which increases with each new record, no ID reusage will happen.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] What Actions Could Change ID Number? In reply to
OK - subject closed and I'll sleep better at night now Cool

Thanks