Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Vote for Me

Quote Reply
Vote for Me
Ok, I have all the link-to-us type things for my site... but I want a vote-for-me button which users can put on their site, which when clicked, takes the user to the LSQL rate a site page, specific to the site which was just clicked on.

Example... the user has a vote-for-me button/link/grahpic on their site, and one of their users clicks on this. They are now taken to the rate a site screen, just as though they found the site in my index and selected "rate".

I imagine this prevents someone spamming the votes then also.

Anyone done this already, or something similar?

I am just thinking of better ways to not only share my link around on other sites, but offer incentive to do this, as site with higher ratings are ordered higher in my categories and search results - and I advertise this fact!
Quote Reply
Re: [sooke] Vote for Me In reply to
You just need to do something like:

<button onclick="javascript:location.href='http://www.yoururl.com/cgi-bin/rate.cgi?ID=xx'">Vote For Me</button>

The webmaster just needs to change xx to their ID

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 11, 2002, 1:40 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Vote for Me In reply to
Very good!! Thank you very muchly Paul, you are an asset to this forumSmile
Quote Reply
Hi Paul, just a thought on this....

When users are adding the code for the vote-to-me to their site, I need a method that they can see the link ID for the links they own.

One way I thought of, is that they log on and click on modify links. This shows the user all of their links, but not the associated link id - this would just have to be modified somehow, so that they could see this, but not modify it! I may need help for this part.

This way, only registered link owners are able to use the vote for me, and if for some reason the link id changed, then they just have to look up their links and see what the new id's are... simple!
Quote Reply
Re: [sooke] Vote for Me In reply to
In modify_select.html it uses a loop....link_results_loop ...inside the loop just add:

<textarea>
<a href="#" onclick="javascript:location.href='<%db_cgi_url%>/rate.cgi?ID=<%ID%>'">
</textarea>

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 11, 2002, 2:23 PM
Quote Reply
Awesome! Works greet, thanks again Paul.Smile