Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Validation for newsletter subscription

Quote Reply
Validation for newsletter subscription
is there a way (or plugin) to send out a validation email including a validation code for new subscribers of the newsletter ?

this would be a great function to prevent the submission of invalid eMail-addresses and to prevent that users signup with the email-address of someone else.

cheers,

Regards,
Manu

Shopping Portal Shop-Netz.de® | Partnerprogramme | Flugreisen & Billigflüge | KESTERMEDIA e.K. | European Affiliate Marketing Forum.
Quote Reply
Re: [ManuGermany] Validation for newsletter subscription In reply to
Hi,

No, currently this is not supported.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Validation for newsletter subscription In reply to
a plugin for this would be great !

Regards,
Manu

Shopping Portal Shop-Netz.de® | Partnerprogramme | Flugreisen & Billigflüge | KESTERMEDIA e.K. | European Affiliate Marketing Forum.
Quote Reply
I agree! A plugin or something is very much needed.

Newsletters are very usefull, however running a adult site like myself its MORE than neccessary to have a email validation or confirmation. Its actually an issue for anybody using this feature especially with the new laws in regards to spamming!

I am in great need of such a plugin!!!

Will there be a plugin or update with this?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [demon] Validation for newsletter subscription In reply to
hello.

you can do the following to allow subscribes to be registered users.

when a subscriber gets an error message like:
'this email address is already taken'

place the following link with eventually small message
such like:

http://www.yourhost.com/cgi-bin/user.cgi?send_validate=1&Email=<%Email%>

when a user clicks on it, a validation code will be send.
after it he/she is upgraded & logged in as registered user.

Hope it helps.
Quote Reply
Re: [ridesworld] Validation for newsletter subscription In reply to
Thanks,

Kind of understand what you mean. But why with that specific error message? One would want to have it occur to all new subscribers rather than only the ones with errors... I probably missunderstood that part of it though.

It might work, but not ideal. Will try and work on it...

THANKS again!

Demon
Quote Reply
Hmm... good idea.

You could actually use the code from the basic registration system to do this.

I've hesitated to do any sort of coding in this area, because of the Gossamer Community that is coming. This is a part of what would be expected in Gossamer Mail, or the main Gossamer Community authentication routines, and Alex would be centralizing them.

If this is not something Alex is planning, it could probably be hacked together in a few hours. I wouldn't make it a plugin, that would take more time, but it would be a replacement for the sign-up script, which adds the user provisionally pending a confirmation, and mails out a code.

When the user clicks the link, or enters their code, the user is moved to "signed up" status.

You could probably bypass a lot of work simply by replacing the front-end portion with the codes above -- that take an email address, mail out a confirmation and wait for it to come back. If it does come back, just pass the email address to the old sign-up script, and let it do what it does.

Just some thoughts....

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Validation for newsletter subscription In reply to
Hi Pugdog,

this is exactly what I ment and want! It's a good possibility I think to prevent spam-mails going out from your own WebSite as a reason of some people making "jokes" by submitting lots of eMail-adresses into your mailing list. (And by the way, in some countries spam-mails ar forbidden by law [like in Germany])

Cheers,

Regards,
Manu

Last edited by:

ManuGermany: Jun 22, 2002, 12:12 PM
Quote Reply
Re: Validation for newsletter subscription In reply to
Hello,
any of you developed a plugin or some code to add validation for newsletter subscription? Here in Italy we need validation since we have a quite severe law against spam.
Thanks.

Cesare
Quote Reply
Re: [ribot] Validation for newsletter subscription In reply to
Laws - in Germany it's the same. That's the reason why I've asked for this.

Regards,
Manu