Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Validation email - spam user registrations

Quote Reply
Validation email - spam user registrations
Hi, I have my site setup with user_validation set to Yes, which requires the user to respond to a validation email sent to the users email address before the user is activated.

I've been getting dozens of 'spam type registrations' using non existent gmail addresses, these cause the mail delivery system to respond with an non delivery email, like the example below.

I'm concerned that the validation email being sent to Google gmail system will have my site flagged / penalised as a spam site?
How can I stop this?

Example of email address....

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. The following addresses failed:

<fhgsdioruhfuio@gmail.com>

SMTP error from remote server after RCPT command:
host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[74.125.79.27]:
550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try
550-5.1.1 double-checking the recipient's email address for typos or
550-5.1.1 unnecessary spaces. Learn more at
550 5.1.1 http://support.google.com/...nswer.py?answer=6596 o49si10463755eem.161
Colin Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: [colintho] Validation email - spam user registrations In reply to
Hi,

Mmm.. there is no way to "stop" that as such. One possible way would be to have a CAPTCHA image on the user signup page, which would require them to enter it correctly before the email gets sent out. Spammers REALLY are the skum of the earth , and such a PITA to try and keep out :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Validation email - spam user registrations In reply to
Andy

thanks for the suggestion
Colin Thompson