Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Using search.cgi?FIELDNAME=SEARCHTERM

Quote Reply
Using search.cgi?FIELDNAME=SEARCHTERM
I am using search.cgi?LinkOwner= to give a list of all the links that a linkowner has submitted. The problem is in the results. If you look here: http://www.policy.ca/....%20Howe%20Institute you'll see a long list of links from one of the Linkowners. If you examine the links, you can see that they are arranged by category. Problem is, the categories repeat themselves. For example, look at the category, Policy Articles: Education, which is on the first page of results, and it has one link under it. When you select the second page of results, you once again see the education category, but this time with two more links under it.

Why is this happening?
Quote Reply
Re: [mapleleafweb] Using search.cgi?FIELDNAME=SEARCHTERM In reply to
Hi,

I was about to say it was a new one on me, but I think I know what is going on.

If you increase your page size, say from 25 to 50, that particular issue *should* go away, if what I think is going on, is going on.

Brewt's going to have to address the back-end fix for ths. Has to do with how the selects are done, and that the first select doesn't know about the links the second select finds.

The fix is going to probably be ugly, having to do a select and order them by the cat_links, and pull them off. Simply ordering by "ID" or some other field, isn't going to work.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [mapleleafweb] Using search.cgi?FIELDNAME=SEARCHTERM In reply to
As you have noticed, category grouping is done after the search results are returned from the database and is only done by a page by page basis. It's been done like this since the beginning, but I'll have to ask around to see why it was done like this. It's probably done like this due to performance reasons.

Adrian