Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Upgrading 2.1.1 to 3.1.0 on same server

Quote Reply
Upgrading 2.1.1 to 3.1.0 on same server
Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my current LinksSQL installation (2.1.1) to Glinks 3.1.0 to both take advantage of the anniversary discount upgrade price, and to give my site a facelift (I've not done much in terms of development since my first-born arrived 2 years ago - been a little bit busy Smile!)

I've bought Glinks and installed it in a separate directory this afternoon.

I assumed I could simply copy my link and category data over to the new version, however I've read in the forum that it's not possible.

To get a working version of Glinks with a copy of my current site data, should I do this:

• Uninstall Glinks 3.1.0
• Copy my 2.1.1 admin files to a new directory
• Copy my 2.1.1 database to a new database and change the 2.1.1 admin setup to point to the newly named database
• Re-install Glinks 3.1.0 over the copied 2.1.1 and chose the Upgrade option (so as to keep my links and cats)

Will this work? Will I end up with a copy of Glinks that has my 2.1.1 link and cat data?

Thanks
Shaun

PS. I have some custom fields in both link and cat tables - will these cause a problem?

Last edited by:

qango: Jul 19, 2006, 7:50 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [qango] Upgrading 2.1.1 to 3.1.0 on same server In reply to
That's about right. However, before you upgrade, you should check that everything is working properly.

Adrian