Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Things to improve on 2.1

Quote Reply
Things to improve on 2.1
While i work not very long with the 2.1; i find some parts that should be changed for the next version.
Maybe we could list and discuss this things here:

1. A lot of messages are changed to the language-file; but not these:
- Subject for add/mod - mailings
- Error-Messages from sql.pm

2. While adding new fields to the user-table
When a user do not fill out all needed fields, he gotīs for only one field a message, but not for all.
If a stupid user (and we have to think especially about them) miss three fields, he gots an error-message for the first one; he fills out this field and sends again; then the error-message shows the next field and so on.
With 1.13 i added a pattern matching and some combinations of if, ifnot to show the error for every field UNDER or BEHIND the certain field. (Look at the bigger sites like gmx e.g.; i think its the best way to do it in this way)

... to continue the next hours and days ...

Last edited by:

Robert: Feb 7, 2002, 3:11 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Robert] Things to improve on 2.1 In reply to
Hi,

The admin email message is not in the language, but the message that goes to the user is: VAL_APPROVESUB, and VAL_APPROVECHGSUB are the subject lines.

The error messages from GT::SQL are also in language.txt, try: ADD_ILLEGALVAL, ADD_UNIQUE, ADD_NOTNULL, ADD_NOCATEGORY. If you don't have these in your language.txt, try the default language.txt that came with 2.1.0.

Let me know what else you find.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Things to improve on 2.1 In reply to
Hi Alex, it is strange, i have searched tru all the files, but i cant find the right file with:
Column Example cannot be left blank

for User-Adding ?!
Quote Reply
This would be the 'ADD_NOTNULL' language variable.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Things to improve on 2.1 In reply to
Hi Alex again, we are talking about the language.txt, right?
I have changed every single message there (in local) and to prove
if there is a fault i have changed the original language.txt in default, too.

Though doing this i got the error message (Column xyz cannot be left blank.) in english?!
Maybe i should do something with the precompiled files?
Robert

Last edited by:

Robert: Feb 10, 2002, 9:10 AM
Quote Reply
Ok. I will tell the story from beginning:

1. I have added 5 new fields to the user table
2. I have added the fields to the signup-form
(There is an if value then input ... value=value, else value=0,
to have no problem when called form the first time)
3. I changed ev. error-message from english to german

Now the problems:
1. When someone lets fields empty i got only an error message for ONE field, not for all
(means that a stupid user let five fields empty, gets message for field 1, then fills out field one, gets message for field two ...)
2. How can i change the sort off the given fields. At the moment the begin somewhere, but i want it start from the first field (in table? in form?)
3. I still got the message "column xyz can not left be blank. - I tested ALL language fields directly on server, they r ok. I searched tru all other scripts, but cant find it (searched for "left blank.")

Robert
Quote Reply
Just another thing:
It is nice to have now a field for the category template;
but i still miss a choice for link.html

The easy way could be to give a link template for every cat;
the better way seems for me to have a standard link.html for every cat and an additional pull-down-field with all linkxyz.htmls.
Maybe with a function reading all files named link....html for the choice.

In 1.13 i do that in html_template; but now i try not to change the code.
Any ideas? maybe with plugins ?

Another thing is the number of links per page; in 1.13 i have a special field for every cat;
if it is empty the script takes the standard number; else i could give for every cat another number of links per page.

And not to forget the detailed.html
In 1.13 i have two solutions for that;
1. Give every cat his own detail-template
2. Choose the detail.html for every link

The best solutions for seems to be:
1. make new detailed-templates
2. Choose the needed ones to a category; set one of them as default
3. Choose nothing for a link and get the default; or choose one of the special list for this cat.

Easier would it be to choose from all; but if you have 30 pieces the list will be long; so it seems better to choose them before.

Here we have the same problem as usual; i could do this (and will do this, if there will be no solution from GT)
for my own; but i must change the code and have the usual problems when upgrading.

Robert

BTW: The same problem as written above is now with fields with an regex; i cant find the place where i can change the english error-message; i really have translated ALL language.txts in local and default!

Last edited by:

Robert: Feb 10, 2002, 2:04 PM
Quote Reply
Ok, have found the thing with the english error-messages ;-))))
Cause i set up the db the first time on another domainname and copied the whole thing to another dir, i have a lot of files with the wrong path inside. No wonder that this makes me crazy and let me search hours and hours ;-(((

Robert